Where do you put up?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sambistapt, Sep 5, 2008.

1. sambistapt Senior Member

RIO DE JANEIRO
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Hello amigos!

_I arrived a few hours ago
    _ Where do you put up?

Does the speaker by any chance wants to know where he is staying at?

Thanks in advance,

Sam:cool:

2. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
  3. sambistapt Senior Member

RIO DE JANEIRO
    Brazilian Portuguese
    I´d heard that from a dialog between two non native speakers!

Regards,

Sam

4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In that case I would assume it is rather mangled misuse of idiom and it means, as you suggest, "Where are you staying?"

5. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    I think it is an idiom in English, but either regional, or old-fashioned. It sounded familiar to me and I found an authentic example in this dialogue. Here is a small excerpt, but you will need to see the full context to understand what is going on:

Usually, you are put up (given lodgings) by someone else, but this intransitive usage seems fairly natural.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  6. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    Surely in the following the 'their's should be 'there's? I'm justing pointing this out in case learners get confused. But perhaps I'm wrong, and this is some really weird dialect (weird to this ignorant BE speaker, I mean). :)

Well I was farming up their then, twenty one, and they knew I was going to Fourstones station you see, and they knew my dog and they knew me, they couldn't get them on their, and I fetch them from there to Newcastle.

7. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    I am very familiar with put up used transitively in the sense of provide temporary accommodation to.

I am sure I have heard put up used intransitively in the sense of be temporarily accommodated. It might have been in an old text. The Oxford English Dictionary's most recent examples are from 1946 and 1962:
    1946 M. MEZZROW & B. WOLFE Really Blues 89 My wife Bonnie was putting up with some relatives and I knew she was O.K.
    1992 TV Quick (Central Region) 19 Dec. 101/1 Dean Jones puts up for the night at Blackbeard's Inn in the small town of Godolphin.

8. Orange Blossom Senior Member

U.S.A. English
    The incorrect usage of "their's" is why Matching Mole followed it by [sic]. Sic is a word that means thus, and writers use this word in brackets in quoted text to indicate that the error was present in the original text.
    -------
    While I haven't heard or seen 'put up' used in quite this way, I knew immediately what it meant. The speaker is asking the listener where he or she is lodging.

In my experience, I've only heard it used when someone is speaking about a third party.

Let's put him up in the cabin.

Mrs. Badger is putting him up in her spare room.

Orange Blossom

9. BODYholic Senior Member

Singapore
    Chinese Cantonese
    Yes, that's what it means. Although I could not tell if this expression exists legitimately, I hear it quite frequently in Singapore.

It's something like "long time no see", colloquial but grammatically incorrect.

10. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    Thanks, Orange Blossom, I do know about sic. Am I going mad? I don't think it was there in the original post - perhaps it was edited in after I saw the earlier post.