Where does all the WordReference forum data go?

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by Tisroc, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Tisroc Member

English - U.S.

Apologies if this is answered on one of the "About" pages, but what does the owner of the WordReference forums do with all the data (i.e. every single post / thread since the creation of the forum)?

Does it get sold to data mining companies? If so, which ones?

Or is its primary purpose for members to use a resource for looking up previously asked information?

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    hello Tisroc,
    Absolutely not!! :eek:
    Exactly. And if you think about it, this is how the forum archives are most valuable. [​IMG] By maintaining an extensive, searchable, and well-organized database of high-quality language information, WordReference ensures that many people will find this site useful. That healthy stream of web traffic is what keeps the site running.

While anyone may read old threads, the archives are not sold to mining companies. What's more, any attempt to copy, compile, or otherwise collect all the content from our forums is expressly forbidden (rule 17). As regards the information you enter into your user profile, rest assured: WordReference will not sell that to data mining companies either! To state the obvious, posting in a public forum thread places your username in public view, but you control the content of your profile. Although you may not misrepresent yourself in any details you do provide, your username and your native language are the only mandatory public fields (rule 18)... and at the time of registration, we do advise against using your real name as your username.

WordReference makes every attempt to protect itself from the evils of the internet, but I would just note that we do caution you against storing or transmitting any sensitive information via our site, be it in forum posts, in your profile, or via private message (rule 20):

20. Disclaimer
    You agree that any personal information you have entered will be stored in a database. The administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised. Do not transmit any sensitive personal information by Private Message.​

I hope this information helps to allay any concerns you may have had.

3. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Every once in a while, I get contacted by a PhD student who thinks that he can mine the data in the WordReference forums and pull out good translations automatically, but I have yet to see it work well.

Your posts are public and there are companies out there that mine the whole internet for data, so I suggest that you not post anything you wouldn't want mined, such as email addresses.