Where is Dixie?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by eastlife, Feb 13, 2007.

1. eastlife

eastlife Member

Hi I watched the 49th Grammy Awards yesterday on TV. Does Dixie refer to Texas? What is the origin of Dixie? I cannot find it in a dictionary.

2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    From Dictionary.com:

Also called Dixieland, Dixie Land. the southern states of the United States, esp. those that were formerly part of the Confederacy.
  3. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic
    Dixie refers to the American South.
  4. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I've always wondered if the name came from the Mason-Dixon line. Does anyone know?
  5. eastlife

eastlife Member

so how do you call people from the south? Dixier? I heard some words on TV series, but I am not sure.
  6. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    That's one theory, James, but apparently there are many theories. There does not even appear to be a general concensus as to exactly which states comprise "Dixie".
  7. jabogitlu Senior Member

No, you call them Southerners, usually. Dixier wouldn't be understood, or at least I've never heard it.

As a Southerner (Tennessee), for me Dixie generally refers to Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, parts of Coastal South Carolina and parts of Texas. Think 'antebellum.'
  8. sorcrit New Member

Technically the term dixie has nothing to do with the south. It is due to the fact of a farmer whose name was Mr. Dixy, he was a slave owner on manhatten island in new york. He was very kind to all the slaves and treated them well, so the slaves used to sing songs about wanting to go to dixie(while they were in the south). So this is how it got mistranslated.
  9. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

English - US
    That is one of several competing theories. No one knows for sure at this point. In addition to the 2 theories mentioned above, 10-dollar notes from Louisiania were printed with Dix (10 in French) on the back and called Dixies.