Where there was fire, ashes remain

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Kangy, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Kangy Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina [Spanish]

I'd like to know if you have a similar saying in your languages. I'm not sure it exists in English. The phrase on the title is just a direct translation from the Spanish saying:

Donde hubo fuego, cenizas quedan.​

Thanks! :)
  2. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    In Arabic there is a saying that goes: wara'a kuli dukhaanin naar وراء كل دخان نار literally meaning: behind every smoke there is fire. The above would be translated as: haithu kaanat al-naar yabqa ramaad حيث كانت النار يبقى رماد. I'm not aware of any such saying in Arabic.
  3. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    But what is the meaning of that saying? "Where there's smoke, there's fire"?...
  4. OldAvatar Senior Member

In Romanian, the saying is:
    Nu iese fum fără foc.
    There is no smoke coming up without a fire.

Probably there is one similar with the Spanish one too, but it is not that common.

Unde-i foc, rămâne cenuşă.
  5. avok

avok Banned

In Turkish we have: "Ateş olmayan yerden duman çıkmaz" :No smoke without fire but we dont have the other one.

I guess the meaning of the other one "Where there was fire, ashes remain" is: when something bad happens, the pain it caused leaves some marks. I have enough ashes left, then
  6. Kraus Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    In Italian: "Dove c'è fumo c'è arrosto", but I'm not sure that's the right equivalent.
  7. Kangy Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina [Spanish]
    The saying means that where there was some kind of feeling, there'll always be at least a little of it, whatever happens.
    When you're in love with someone and then the love ends, there'll still be a little bit of love no matter what.
  8. hunternet

hunternet Senior Member

France - French
    in French : il n'y a pas de fumée sans feu (first thing came to mind, but it does not seem to fit) or il y a toujours la flamme
  9. avok

avok Banned

Yeah, but I think "fire" makes reference to the end of love rather than the love itself.
  10. Nizo Senior Member

In Esperanto: Ne ekzistas fumo sen fajro is the proverb "where there's smoke, there's fire." This is a standard proverb in Esperanto and dates from the late 1800s or early 1900s. I can't find an equivalent for your phrase in Esperanto; however, it would literally be translated: Kie estis fajro, tie restas cindro.
  11. Kangy Senior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina [Spanish]
    Nope. "Fire" actually represents the heat and passion of love.
  12. maitreyaleng New Member

Spanish - Puerto Rico
    In Spanish, "Where there's smoke, there's fire" translates as "Si el río suena es porque agua trae".
  13. Hermocrates Senior Member

Italian & British English (bilingual)

"Non c'è fumo senza arrosto"

14. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    In Dutch: geen rook zonder vuur. But indeed, it has nothing to do with love. It means that rumours are never fully unsubstantiated: there must something wrong, is the implication.

I guess the one about the ashes is about passion. But that is a different one, I think.
  15. Doubleagent67 New Member

Spanish & English
    ANSWER TO: "Where there was fire ashes remain."

I've used this phrase before with an ex of mine. She was my first love and we had a child together but she moved on and got married to someone else. After some years passed we talked one day and reflected on our past relationship. She asked me if I still felt a special regard for her and I replied "where there was fire, ashes remain." The fire of course was the true love we once felt and the ashes was the special regard I still felt for her. I asked her the same question and she replied "we have a daughter together so i guess there's always going to be something there between us." We were acknowleging the same thing. It's a another way of saying where true love once existed (fire) lingering feelings (ashes) will always remain for that person. I'm Hispanic and this is a common Spanish phrase that's always used in this context.

This is different than the phrase "where there's smoke there's fire" which means where's there's evidence of something afoul (smoke) there's usually something to it (fire).
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  16. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I've never come across "Where there was fire, ashes remain" outside this forum.
  17. arielipi Senior Member

כי עזה כמוות אהבה קשה כשאול קנאה רשפיה רשפי אש שלהבתיה

ki aza kamavet ahava, kasha kish'ol kin'a, reshafeha rishfey es, shalhevetya
    because [=for] strong [=fierce, forceful] as death is love, hard [=to bear] as hell [=bottom of the earth] (of) jealousy, her flares are flares of fire, ember.

מים רבים לא יוכלו לכבות את האהבה ונהרות לא ישטפוה
    mayim rabim lo yuchlu lechabot et ha'ahava uneharot lo yishtefuha
    many waters would not could [=withstand, or better put be able to] put out love and rivers wont flood it.

אין שנאה גדולה מזו שנולדת מאהבה נבגדת
    en sin'a gdola mizo shenoledet me'ahava nivgedet
    there is no greater hatred than the one that is born from betrayed love.

Also, theres the regular no fire without smoke:
    אין עשן בלי אש
    en ashan bli esh.
  18. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Maybe we ought to introduce the proverb (isn't it?) in Dutch...
  19. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog: Abo ang labi' ng pinagsunugan" (Ash is the remain of Fire)
  20. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Neither had I. Lovely saying, though...
  21. ilocas2 Senior Member

translation in Czech:

Kde byl oheň, zůstává/zbývá popel.
  22. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

That sounds so much more beautiful than the Finnish "vanha suola janottaa" (old salt is making one thirsty), which refers to a situation where someone has romantic or physical feelings for a former lover.