1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

whether/if it is wrong or right

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Rattlehead, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Rattlehead New Member

Castellano
    Hola, Estoy escribiendo un ensayo de ejercicio de TOEFL y me preguntan : " Agree or Disagree. Before making a decision, it is important to find out if the decision will be popular with others". En mi respuesta, en uno de los argumentos escribo que si las decisión que un persona toma es impopular, eso no demuestra si es una mala o buena decision. Entonces, me gustaría saber cuál de estas formulaciones es la correcta, usando Whether o If en la segunda frase: "If the decision that a person makes is unpopular, that do not show if it is wrong or right" o "If the decision that a person makes is unpopular, that do not show whether is wrong or right".

Gracias.

2. pilenton

pilenton Senior Member

Miami, USA
    Argentina, USA, Spanish, English
    Yo le daría una vueltita de tuerca, no tan literal desde el español.

The fact of being a decision unpopular does not make it a right or wrong one by nature.

Saludos,

3. dipsota Senior Member

Español- Buenos Aires -Argentina
    Use whether to present two alternatives (neither of which is a condition) Let Ann know whether the boss is able to go to Spain. (he is a ble/he is not able) (If is incorrect here)
    After prepositions:Let's talk about whether you are going to New York (not if).
    Before infinitive verbs:I have been thinking whether to go to the party tonight. (not if)

4. dipsota Senior Member

Español- Buenos Aires -Argentina
    La opción de pilenton es muy buena pero creo que Rattlehead quiere saber cuándo es más correcto usar whether o if.
    Se pueden usar ambos cuando se responde a una pegunta sí-no: I'm not sure if/whether I'll be attending the party tonight.

En if/whether... or I would like to know whether/if it is true (or not).

5. James2000 Senior Member

English - South Africa
    I would prefer option 2, but both sound a little unwieldy to me. Perhaps something like this would be better:

3. If the decision that a person makes is unpopular, that doesn't make it right or wrong.
    4. If the decision that a person makes is unpopular, that doesn't mean it is right or wrong.
    5. Just because a decision (that a person makes) is unpopular doesn't mean it's right or wrong.

I would prefer something like:

6. The fact that a decision is unpopular does not make it right or wrong.

6. Rattlehead New Member

Castellano
    Thank you, for the help.