1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

which is more than most of the ones walking around

Discussion in 'English Only' started by High on grammar, Jan 8, 2013.

1. High on grammar Senior Member

Farsi
    [FONT=&quot] Hello everyone:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I was searching Google books looking for example sentences with the expression “in the pipeline” and I came across the following sentence. I was wondering what “which is more than” refers to. Does it mean that the mothers who walk around with dozens of kids already and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]another one in the pipeline[/FONT][FONT=&quot] outnumber those who admit that they are not good mothers ?[/FONT]

[h=3]The mermaids in the basement: stories - Page 11[/h] [FONT=&quot]“ I don't like working on terminations but I have to hand it to them these patients at least admit they're no good at being mothers, which is more than most of the ones walking around with dozens of kids already and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]another one in the pipeline”[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT]

2. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    Hello. No, it means that they don't even admit they are not good mothers (in the author's opinion).

3. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

No, the sentence implies some words that it doesn't actually contain. An expanded version might be "which is more that most of the ones walking around with dozens of kids already and another one in the pipeline (are willing to admit)."

(Cross-posted with Tazzler.)

4. High on grammar Senior Member

Farsi
    Thanks

5. High on grammar Senior Member

Farsi
    Thanks

6. High on grammar Senior Member

Farsi
    So in other words, the sentence means: which is more than what most of the ones walking around with dozens of kids already and another one in the pipeline are willing to admit."

Thanks again.