which was just as well - meaning?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Baltic Sea, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Hello everybody!

The 10 tourists and their guide all froze with fear as a 40st grizzly suddenly ran towards them, which was just as well because any tiny movement could have made him attack.

The way I understand the marked part is "which was a good thing to happen" and this part refers to the fact that the 10 tourists and their guide all froze with fear. In other words, it was a good thing (job) that the 10 tourists and their guide all froze with fear.

Thank you. The source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/tourists-have-a-close-encounter-with-a-grizzly-bear-746727

2. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The story explains that it is really important not to run away if you are charged by a grizzly bear.
    It's not clear in the Mirror version, but this was explained in the version of the story that I read. Running away is likely to make the bear give chase and attack.

Your interpretation of "which was just as well" is correct.

3. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Thank you, Panjandrum.

4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
  5. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    This sentence had me confused for a bit since the phrase is positioned to modify "ran towards them" instead of "froze with fear". Since it was already running toward them, it might as well attack. ;)
    (Also, my mind converted 40st bear into 40ft bear. :eek:)

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    The 10 tourists and their guide all froze with fear (as a 40st grizzly suddenly ran towards them), which was just as well

I thought it was quite clear that the "just as well" related to "froze with fear". I've put parentheses round the bit that I understood as parenthetical :)

My interpretation may be influenced by the sense that this is the only rational interpretation of the sentence.