1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

"While" can be followed by will or not? -"Call Me before sev

Discussion in 'English Only' started by englishlearner123, Feb 24, 2013.

1. englishlearner123 Junior Member

Italian
    Hello everybody,
    I have a question for you about the use of the future "will" after "while".
    Let's imagine this situation: "I will be working in the laboratory until seven so please call me before then."
    I think it is grammatically correct, what if I wanna use "while" and rewrite the sentence? I can think of two options: -"Call Me before seven while I will be in the laboratory." / "Call Me while I will be working in the laboratory" ...but I've been taught that while can't be followed by will
    -"Call Me before seven while I am in the laboratory." ...so I'd go with the present simple
    Is any of these two sentence (grammatically) correct? Should I use will after while or not? Should I go with the present simple? Is there any case where while can be followed by a future?
    Thanks in Advance :D

2. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    Call me while I am working in the lab. :)

3. englishlearner123 Junior Member

Italian
    Thanks, got it :D So basically it's incorrect because just "am" doesn't express future in that sentence right?

4. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    Do you mean "during"?

5. englishlearner123 Junior Member

Italian
    Yeah, You call <-> I am in the lab

6. englishlearner123 Junior Member

Italian
    Aww "So basically it's incorrect because just "am" doesn't express future in that sentence right?" was referred to "Call Me before seven while I am in the laboratory."

7. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Yes. You could perhaps imagine a convoluted context where the sentence meant something like "Call me before seven while I am still minded to go to the laboratory": then "will" might be appropriate.

8. rhitagawr

rhitagawr Senior Member

British English
    The original "I will be working in the laboratory until seven so please call me before then" is the best offer so far.
    I think you can have will after while. Mr Smith will teach Class 2 while Miss Jones will teach Class 3. This sentence is rather formal. The while means little more than and. There's less of the idea of two things happening at the same time as in I'll get the dinner on while you're cleaning the car.