... while deepening their identification as Muslims

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Wookie, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Wookie

Wookie Senior Member

Korea, Korean
    Muslim Americans immerse themselves in the life of the United States while simultaneously deepening their identification as Muslims.

Is the underlined phrase correct?
    I think while is a conjunction so "while they simultaneously deepen their identification as Muslims." is correct.

2. Quique52 Junior Member

Cuernavaca, México
    México - English
    Yes, it's correct as is.

3. Wookie

Wookie Senior Member

Korea, Korean
    I think there should be a subject and a verb with conjunction.
    I don't see any subjects or verbs after "while ...".

4. Quique52 Junior Member

Cuernavaca, México
    México - English
    In this case, the subject continues to be "Muslims" and the verb is "to deepen". If you really want a subject and verb after the conjunction "while" you could write, "while they simultaneously deepen their identification as Muslims." Now you have "they deepen" as your subject / verb. But there is nothing wrong with the original sentence.

5. Quique52 Junior Member

Cuernavaca, México
    México - English
    Just to add a bit to my previous reply: "While" is often used as a preposition, rather than as a conjunction. It's use with a gerund ("-ing" form of a verb) is very common. "While walking down the street, I saw a beautiful flower:" It is not necessary to say "While I walked down the street...". "While" with a gerund, such as "walking", conveys continuing action and borrows the subject from other parts of the sentence, in this case "I" from "I saw".

It's easier to see how this works if you change the order of your sentence:

While simultaneously deepening their identification as Muslims, Muslim Americans immerse themselves in the life of the United States.

As you can see, it is the same sentence, but "while" is used as a preposition rather than as a conjunction.

While writing this, I was hoping that it would be helpful to you.