'Who saves one life...'

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by ads88, Sep 1, 2010.

1. ads88 New Member

Spain
    Hi!
    First of all, i've got to say that I do not study Hebrew. I am a complete ignorant at it. I've studied Latin, Greek, German, English, French... (I'm Spanish) but no Hebrew, so if I say or ask for something stupid, dont be too rough :p

My question is the following. Years ago I saw the movie The Schindler's List and I loved it. I've reseen it and I was amazed by the sentence "Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire." I looked for this sentence in Google and I saw that the complete sentence is: 'Whoever destroys a soul, it is considered as if he destroyed an entire world. And whoever saves a life, it is considered as if he saved an entire world.' (from - Babylonian Talmud, Sanhedrin 4:8 (37a)

I've tried really hard to find this quote in Hebrew and I've found different versions, and that has confused me. This is what I've found:

המציל נפש אחת, כאילו הציל עולם מלא
    כל המקיים נפש אחת, מעלין עליו כאילו קיים עולם מלא

This is what I would like you to help me. Is this a literal translation or is this the real text from the Talmud?? In case of none is it, may you tell me the real extract from the talmud? I've tried to look for it but as it is in Hebrew I dont know where to find, even If I had the Sanhedrin 4:8 (37a) in front of me, I would not know where the quote starts and ends as I cant understand Hebrew.

Summing up, could you tell me please the original (extracted from the Talmud) version of this quote (no a translation English -> Hebrew)?? And, apart from that could you tell me what the shorten version ("Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire.") would be like?? I know this might be a pain in the neck but I CAN'T do it :( I wish I knew Hebrew.

Thanks a lot!!

If you need any help with Spanish, I'll be so glad to help back ^^

2. yuval9 Senior Member

Hebrew
    From the Mishnah - Sanhedrin
    כל המאבד נפש אחת, מעלים עליו כאילו איבד עולם מלא

וכל המקיים נפש אחת, מעלים עליו כאילו קיים עולם מלא

the explanation (in hebrew), to the second part:
    המציל נפש אחת, כאילו הציל עולם מלא
    is this is shorten version you meant?

3. ads88 New Member

Spain
    Wow, thanks a lot for your help.
    What I meant by shortened version was that instead of this ''Whoever destroys a soul, it is considered as if he destroyed an entire world. And whoever saves a life, it is considered as if he saved an entire world.' I wanted this: "Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire."

So, you've given me three sentences, I guess that the two first make a whole which is the long version and the last one is the same but shortened, right? Is that is the case, THANKS A LOT!!! I truly appreciate it :)

4. scriptum

scriptum Senior Member

Israel
    Israel / Hebrew, Russian
    The exact text of the Mishna reads:
    וכל המקיים נפש אחת, מעלים עליו כאילו קיים עולם מלא
    "Whoever saves one soul, Scripture accounts it as if he had saved a full world"
    This is also the text cited by Maimonides.

As for the Talmud, some manuscripts specify: "Whoever saves one soul in Israel".