1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

whose girlfriend Julian is planning to monster

Discussion in 'English Only' started by marcolo, Feb 2, 2008.

1. marcolo

marcolo Senior Member

Bordeaux, France
    France, french
    Hello,
    in the movie "Head in the Clouds", Guy is going to a beano (a kind of party I guess) because Gilda invited him. Gilda is the girlfriend of Julian. While Guy is in the party, a girl is asking him
    - You are the troubled boy whose girlfriend Julian is planning to monster. Are you sad ?
    - I am thrilled for her (Guy replies)
    - You don't mind if she gets debauched ?

I don't understand the part "whose girlfriend Julian is planning to monster", I didn't know that monster could be a verb, and I don't know who does what in this stuff :(

Thank you for your help.

2. nzfauna

nzfauna Senior Member

Wellington, New Zealand
    New Zealand, English
    Are you sure you've heard correctly?

3. marcolo

marcolo Senior Member

Bordeaux, France
    France, french
    yep, and the subtitles of the movie or on the net are the same. strange, no ?

4. gbkv Senior Member

California
    USA, English
    marcolo,

???
    - You are the troubled boy whose girlfriend Julian is planning to monster.
    This entire sentence confuses me. First of all, I have never heard monster used as a verb. But additionally, "...the troubled boy whose girlfriend Julian..." means that Julian is planning to "monster" Guy's girlfriend. Does Guy have a girlfriend?

Was this dialogue originally written in English? (And if so, is it BE? Maybe they use "monster" like that across the pond, but not in the US.)

Regards,
    gbkv

5. lentulax Senior Member

Cumbria , England
    UK English
    'monster' is certainly a verb in modern colloquial usage , usually meaning something like to give someone a good going over , to completely dominate someone/something , to overpower etc. (just google 'he monstered') . It's used in quite literate contexts (political reporting , etc.) . I've never before come across it used with a specifically sexual reference , but I'm not surprised that it should be .

Mike

6. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    The OED offers this as a meaning for monster (v.)

4. trans. colloq. (orig. Austral.).

a. To attack, harass, pester, beset.

1967 Kings Cross Whisper (Sydney) xxxvi. 4/2 Monster, make unwelcome passes at a girl. ​

As the scene takes place in the 1930s, I believe, the writer may have been looking for language that would be recognizable as slang from an ealier time, perhaps without taking too much care as to authenticity. Or, it may in fact be authentic for the 1930s.

As for 'who does what', I leave it to you to imagine. Clearly more is going on than an "unwelcome pass".