Why the "advise" doesn't use the past tense "advised"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by woodrowchina, Oct 6, 2009.

1. woodrowchina Member

How much vitamin D does a healthy person need?Nutrition experts who advise the American government set the current recommendations in 1997.
    Why the "advise" doesn't use the past tense "advised"?Is it because "advise" hints a kind of continuous status?
  2. mplsray Senior Member

Yes, you are correct.
  3. woodrowchina Member

thanks,but I think advised may be correct too.
    it's a sentence of voa special.it has no original.so I don't know it exactly.
    I found out two versions about the sentence,most are "advise",few are "advised".
    I wonta know whether it make sense.because usually when attaching "in 1997" and the like adverbial,the verb should use past tense.
  4. liliput

liliput Senior Member

U.K. English
    If you used the past tense it would imply that these nutrition experts no longer advise the government.

These nutrition experts set the current recommendations for Vitamin D in 1997. The use of the present tense advise indicates that the government habitually consults these nutrition experts for advice.

To put it another way: The same nutrition experts always advise [present tense] the government; in 1997 these experts set [past tense] the recommendations for Vitamin D intake.