widely distributed language

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Oskitar, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Oskitar Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    Hola.

Quisiera saber si este texto en inglés está bien escrito y si sus expresiones son correctas:

También quería traducirlo. Este es mi intento, pero no estoy seguro:

El

Lo siento, se me fue. =)

El texto en cuestión es el siguiente:

English in the world
    English is a widely distributed language originating in England, now part of the United Kingdom, and is the primary language in many countries now.
    Also it is used as second language in many other countries and is the most widely taught and understood language in the world.

An estimated 354 million people speak English as their first language. Estimates about second language speakers of English vary greatly between 150 million and 1.5 billion.

English is the dominant international language in communications, science, business, aviation, entertainment, diplomacy and the Internet.

2. quizas Senior Member

English, United States
    Your text is pretty good. Here are a few suggestions.

English in the world

English is a widely spoken language that originated in England, now part of the United Kingdom, and is now the primary language in many countries.

It is also used as second language in many other countries and is the most widely taught and understood language in the world.

An estimated 354 million people speak English as their first language. Estimates of second language speakers of English vary greatly, from between 150 million and 1.5 billion.

English is the dominant international language in communications, science, business, aviation, entertainment, diplomacy and the Internet.

3. ron2110 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    English
    English in the world
    English is a widely-distributed language originating in England, now part of the United Kingdom, and is currently the primary language of many countries.
    It is also used as a second language in many other countries and is the most widely-taught and -understood language in the world.

An estimated 354 million people speak English as their first language. Estimates of second-language speakers of English vary greatly between 150 million and 1.5 billion.

English is the dominant international language in communications, science, business, aviation, entertainment, diplomacy and on the Internet.

4. Oskitar Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    ¿Por qué razón añades esos guiones al texto? ¿Son necesarios?

¿Y es estrictamente necesario añadir ese on al decir and the Internet al final del texto?

5. Maggie_11 Junior Member

England - English
    si, creo que suena mejor con "on" porque no se dice in the internet y "..the internet" refiere a "language in.."
    the addition "currently" or "now" is the only one that i think isn't completely necessary but it reads better with one of them included (both are fine). I would also say that widely spoken is a more common expression than widely distributed because, for me at least, the latter has connotations of a physical distribution i.e. of goods, people, not so much of a concept or idea like a language.
    espero que te ayude

6. elchoco

elchoco Senior Member

Barranquilla, Colombia
    English - UK
    Not sure if English IS still the dominant language of the internet. Hasn't it been overtaken by chinese by now? Soon will be!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6037345.stm

(The text is great though, and, yes, "on the internet" sounds better)

7. Oskitar Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    De acuerdo, he modificado el texto y ha quedado de la siguiente forma:

English in the world

English is a widely spoken language that originated in England, now part of the United Kingdom, and is currently the primary language of many countries.

It is also used as second language in many other countries and is the most widely taught and understood language in the world.

An estimated 354 million people speak English as their first language. Estimates of second language speakers of English vary greatly between 150 million and 1.5 billion.

English is the dominant international language in communications, science, business, aviation, entertainment, diplomacy and on the Internet.

¿Lo dejo así o debo cambiar alguna expresión más?

Gracias.

8. elchoco

elchoco Senior Member

Barranquilla, Colombia
    English - UK
    Actually, thinking about it, isn't Chinese "the most widely taught and understood language in the world"? I thought English was second, and then Spanish in terms of numbers of speakers.

[Edit: Esto es de wikipedia: (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chino) "El chino es el idioma más hablado del mundo (más de 900 millones de hablantes como lengua materna). Es uno de los seis idiomas oficiales de la ONU."]

9. Maggie_11 Junior Member

England - English
    yeah that is true.. but I would still say that English is still the predominant language of the two but of course as China develops further this will change. But surely English would still be the most widely taught language seeing as it is taught in so many foreign countries whereas Chinese is not to the same extent.
    And Oskitar.. your text is really good, it reads well as it is now.

10. ron2110 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    English
    I feel that the hyphens are necessary because "widely-spoken" is a single, grouped adjective. But a lot of people don't agree with me. Even the ultimate Grammar Nazi, the author of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves: A Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation".

I feel it should be "A Zero*-*Tolerance Approach to Punctuation". Go figure.

11. elchoco

elchoco Senior Member

Barranquilla, Colombia
    English - UK
    Not sure if I agree with you Ron.

If we're 'going over this with a fine tooth comb' (or a 'fine-tooth' comb), perhaps I'd also add:

It is also used as a second language in many other countries and is the most widely taught and understood language in the world.

An estimated 354 million people speak English as their first language. Estimates of second language speakers of English vary
    greatly between 150 million and 1.5 billion.

or, perhaps:

The number of
    second language speakers of English is estimated to be between 150 million and 1.5 billion.

(By the way, that's a huge range of estimation! Is that an English billion or an American one?)

12. elchoco

elchoco Senior Member

Barranquilla, Colombia
    English - UK
    And don't forget to cite your sources... :)