1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Wie oft fährt der Bus?

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by ѕαмм, Aug 24, 2011.

1. ѕαмм Junior Member

India - Hindi
    Wie- how

oft- often

fährt- journey, ride

der- the

bus- bus

How come it means, how often does the bus go?

2. Thomas W. Senior Member

Deutsch
    don't quite understand the question. Why should it not mean "How often does the bus go"?
    (Maybe it helps your understanding if you translate "fahren" with what it usually means, "drive": "How - often - drives - the - bus?")

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  3. ѕαмм Junior Member

India - Hindi
    I tried but couldn't find the right meaning of fährt.

I am trying to learn German from a website.

The translation given to me was.

ibzcmkosg.PNG

Could you link me to some sites where I can find correct and all possible meanings of words(German), please?

4. Thomas W. Senior Member

Deutsch
    @samm
    There is a thread "resources" in this forum where you can find links to dictionaries and everything else on the web you need to translate words or learn German.

5. je-ne-regrette-rien Senior Member

'Fahrt' is a journey or ride; 'fährt' (umlauts are very important!) comes from fahren. If you type in a part of verb into the WordReference dictionary, the infinitive of the verb comes up, if it is recognised. The dictionary may also direct you to the correct verb. If you type 'fährt' into the WR dictionary, this comes up:

fährt 3. Pers. Sg. Präsens v. Seefahren

Click on fahren to get the right meaning. Don't worry about knowing the meaning of every word now; it's better to learn set phrases at first and then move onto looking up words.

6. ѕαмм Junior Member

India - Hindi
    Thanks a lot je-ne-regrette-rien

7. Biddlesby Senior Member

English (Brit.)
    Some advice that I have found helpful whilst learning German: do not split the sentences up into single words and look for exact translations. Instead, learn phrases, and use translations as helpful mnemonics for recalling the meaning.

8. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    This cannot be over-emphasized, a and ä are different vowels and must never been confused.

9. driFDer Senior Member

California, USA
    (A)English
    @samm

I have always found the Deutsch-Englisch/ English-German dictionary found here>> http://dict.cc << very helpful. It is one of few dictionaries that can :)warn: I say this with caution!) translate expressions. Again, take care when translating from this dictionary. It is always best to search this site first for the meaning of words and expressions. I have also found that most common topics such as, the usage/conjugation of verbs (in your case "fahren") have already been discussed here multiple times.

Best regards,
    Justin

10. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    I am not contradicting you in any respects but I would like to point out that in this case the core of the confusion is not that you need to translate entire expressions. The issue here is that you have to be aware of the different meanings of "go" and "gehen". In German buses cannot "go" they can only "ride" ("fahren") because in German you need legs to "go". To express the motion of vehicles you have to use a different verb in German: "fahren". That is why you have so many translations for "fahren" in dictionaries. The meaning of "fahren" is actually quite simple: movement by vehicle; just the idea of having a special verb for this as such does not exist in English.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  11. ѕαмм Junior Member

India - Hindi
  12. driFDer Senior Member

California, USA
    (A)English
    I completely agree.:D I was namely trying to expand on Biddlesby's answer regarding memorizing/translating expressions. In this case, a dictionary would be able to explain the correct usage/meaning of the verb 'fahren'. (Including it's conjugation ;) )