will have been discovering [use of future perfect continuous]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by kttm19, Mar 9, 2013.

1. kttm19 Junior Member

Vietnamese
    <<Please put the question/issue in the title of the thread>>

I have a question as follows:
    "As Delegates who arrived early will have been discovering there have been some late changes to the conference programme."
    -I need a detailed explanation so that I can understand and imagine what is happening in the sentence above.
    -I am very confused because I do not understand why use the future perfect continuous tense in the sentence above.
    I sincerely thank all of your explanations.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    It means the same as: "Delegates who arrived early will already have discovered (= have, no doubt, already discovered) that there have been some late changes to the conference programme."

The use of the continuous makes their discovery more... well... continuous.

3. kttm19 Junior Member

Vietnamese
    I can translate your explanation and I am very grateful for that but I still do not really understand the problem.I would be very grateful if you explain to me the following:
    I suppose Tom, Mary, Peter, George and Linda are the delegates, so if I put them into situations in the above questions, they will act like? I feel a specific evidence that would help me feel more confident in understanding the problem. I'm sincere and very grateful to receive your interpretation and those of this website.

4. waltern Senior Member

English - USA
    To make it as simple as I can:

Tom, Mary, Peter, George and Linda are going to a conference, and have received a preliminary schedule for the conference.

The organizers make some last minute changes to the schedule.

Tom and Mary arrive early to the conference, and receive an updated schedule with the changes, which they note.

On the first day of the conference Peter, George and Linda arrive, and the announcement in your original post is made to everyone - there have been some changes to the schedule, which those who arrived early (Tom and Mary) will have already discovered.

5. kttm19 Junior Member

Vietnamese
    Your explanation made ​​me understand the problem and this has made ​​me feel used "Will already have discovered" is the most accurate choice.I'm not a native English speaker, so I feel very confused with the "Will have been discovering", I'm only familiar with things like: "I have been reading book for 6 hours." => (Forumsdescribes the time that the action has started and is going on).I've never heard or seen anyone use "Will have been discovering" before, so I look forward to the examples and the accompanying explanation. Sincere thanks.

6. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    If you say 'will have discovered', this suggests that for each person there was one moment when they learned the new information. No great passage of time was involved in learning it.

If you say 'will have been discovering' this means that for each person the process of learning the new information has gone on over a period, as they learned first one thing, then another and another and then put those pieces of information together and began to realise what it all meant.

7. kttm19 Junior Member

Vietnamese
    You explained very clearly, and I feel I understand this and I need you as well as those of this website to verify my idea:I solve using A is the schedule Tom and Mary received, schedule A items 1), 2), 3); then schedule that Tom and Mary received on the first day of the conference will have the items 1), 2), 3), 4)? My idea is consistent with the situation in question?
    I'm sorry I ask too much, but I look forward to receiving feedback from you. Sincere thanks.

8. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    Hullo, kttm.

"As Delegates who arrived early will have been discovering there have been some late changes to the conference programme."

In the sentence above, the portion will have been discovering contains at least two grammatical phenomena you may not be familiar with:

1. the use of modal WILL to express a conjecture regarding the past
    2. the use of a progressive (BE + ING) structure.

1. Some examples of WILL to express a conjecture regarding present and past TIME :
    This will be the mailman (I imagine/have reasons to believe that this is the mailman)
    You will have studied Chinese at Senior High School (I imagine/ have reasons to believe that you have studied Chinese at Senior High School)

2. For the use of the continuous/progressive form, take advantage of wandle's explanation

GS