will you dump me off on the way home - meaning

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Baltic Sea, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Hello again!

Does the sentence "will you dump me off on the way home" mean "will you give a lift home" or "will you drop me off on the way home"?

I think the second meaning applies.

Thank you.

2. Jacobtm Senior Member

NY
    English - New York
    I have never heard ''dump me off'' be used for ''drop me off'' or ''give me a lift'', but I would assume that's what it means. It's the only thing that makes sense, but sounds odd to me.

3. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Thank you very much for help, Jacobtm.

4. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

SW London
    British English
    I might well ask to be 'dropped off' somewhere, but I wouldn't ask to be 'dumped off' anywhere. 'Dumping' is derogatory to me - one dumps what one wants to be rid of. Some people might use dump in a joking way. I can only say that if I were asking for a lift home I would not use 'dump me off', I would simply ask if I could have a lift home. After that, I might discuss where it was convenient to drop me off. I don't usually regard myself as a piece of rubbish to be 'dumped'.

Hermione

Of course the people who gave me the lift might say 'we dumped her off at the station', but I wouldn't be there to hear this.

5. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Where did you see or hear this, Baltic Sea?

As you see, from the above responses, it's an unusual turn of phrase.

6. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual
    I, too, would be curious to know where you heard/read this expression. I've never heard it before, but let me tell you it put a smile on my face :)

7. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I have heard and used the expression; perhaps I move in different circles. To dump someone off, is to give them a lift to a point convenient for the driver; it is informal, e.g.
    A: "Do you want a lift home?"
    B: "Yeah, OK, but dump me off at the traffic lights. I'll walk from there; you don't want to go round the one-way system."

or

A: "Do you mind if I dump you off here? I said I'd see Jane at half-four and it's 25 past now."

8. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Same here. "Dump me off" is a way of saying that you can be dropped off wherever it's convenient for the driver.

9. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I agree. I have heard it a few times, but it is very informal, almost local. Some people may even say, would you dump this letter for me. Just another unusual use of dump.

10. paul f Senior Member

Lyon, France
    English - England
    I have seen and heard this a few times in very informal situations, however I am surprised by the use of 'off'. In my experience the expression has always been simpy 'dump', as in the following examples from PaulQ:

Yeah, OK, but dump me at the traffic lights.
    Do you mind if I dump you here?

It is the addition of 'off' which makes this sound unnatural to me (besides the fact of course that it is technically not proper English)

11. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    I found this interesting. My intial respone was very much like Hermione's: it would shock me to use the word dump about a person, but the others have shown that in some circles this expression is normalised, at least informally.

12. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    Dump me off. Once upon a time no one would have though twice about it, with or without the off.

You can dump me here. You can dump me there. You can dump me off by the park. All good old fashioned BE...

"'Dumping' is derogatory to me - one dumps what one wants to be rid of." Hermione, it is good old fashioned English, nothing derogatory about it at all... :)

GF..

13. ilmkidunya New Member

dumped use mostly when we are very closed friends and in this sense it informal discussion but on the same time people use is as negative term to get rid of some one...

14. paul f Senior Member

Lyon, France
    English - England
    Were you simply summarising what has already been said for clarification? I believe this is roughly what we have arrived at but out of interest would like to know if you are indeed a native speaker of English or whether you made a mistake in fulling out the registration form?

I'd be interested to know whether speakers of AE would always use the word off in the situations we have discussed? It might be a clear cut difference between AE and BE seeing as George French proposes it without the off as well.

15. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    I don't understand French's post about "good old fashioned BE"

All of the basic meanings of dump carry a negative connotation to me, this is why Hermione and I see this as a negative word to use about a person, it's more like something you would do to a dead body than a friend, in BE.

to put something somewhere in a careless way, especially something that is heavy
    [SIZE=-1]more...[/SIZE]

to get rid of someone or something that you no longer want or need
    [SIZE=-1]more...[/SIZE]

to leave someone in the care of someone else because it is convenient for you, although it may not be for them
    [SIZE=-1]more...[/SIZE]

to end a sexual or romantic relationship with

16. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Chiming in for the good old USA, or at least the part of it that constitutes Illinois: I've certainly heard it, and probably used it, but only with the "off."

17. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
  18. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    I am embarrassed. It seems that "dump me off" is not common in UK English but it is definitely there in US English.

GF..

I must take more notice of my signature...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  19. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    These all sound like perfectly normal everyday colloquial phrases to me too. I think that in colloquial use "dump" does not necessarily imply "discard rubbish".