1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Willst Du, bis der Tod euch scheide / bis zum Tod der Scheide... (Rammstein song)

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Tino_no, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Tino_no Senior Member

Sinaloa
    Español mexicano
    Hello, now I'm improving my german by listening (to) songs. I just got a rammstein CD, I wonder if someone here has listened the song "Du Hast".
    But now I'm really confused:
    First of all:

Du hast mich > They spell it as Du hast misch

Willst Du bis der Tod der Scheide
    Treu ihr sein für alle Tage
    (I was thaught that the german "r" was gutural, but they spell it almost like the spanish "rr"

Does it depend where you live? Or it's because it's a song and some words can be spelled differently, even spanish singers do that every now and then.
    Please help!

2. Vespasian Senior Member

Switzerland, German language
    I don't know the song but I checked the lyrics because "bis der Tod der Scheide" (until the death of the vagina ;)) doesn't make sense. It goes like this:

Willst du, bis der Tod euch scheidet,
    Treu ihr sein für alle Tage?

About the R pronunciation:
    I can second this. I speak with alveolar trill R in Swiss-German but with uvular R in Standard German for example.

3. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    The song "Du hast"

has:
    Willst du bis der Tod euch scheide
    Treu ihr sein fur alle Tagen

and also
    Willst du bis zum Tod der Scheide
    Sie lieben auch in schlechten Tagen

A clever play on words!

4. Vespasian Senior Member

I didn't check any further. Mea culpa.

5. Tino_no Senior Member

Sinaloa
    Español mexicano
    Thanks, and I didn't know what that sentence meant.

Sorry, could you explain what do "alveolar trill R" and "uvular R" mean?,i'm not an english native speaker, so I don't understand very well what they mean :)

6. nic456 Senior Member

UK
    alemán
    Auch wenn du kein englischer Muttersprachler bist, sollte dir diese Abbildung weiterhelfen. Die deutsche Version ist hier.

7. Vespasian Senior Member

8. Tino_no Senior Member

Sinaloa
    Español mexicano
    Thanks Vespasian!

9. Crab New Member

English - England
    A little late now, but it's a pun on a grammatical ambiguity. "Willst du bis der Tod der Scheide" has the second 'der' as an article for the noun Scheide, meaning "Do you want, until the death of the vagina". "Willst du bis der Tod, der scheide", however, creates a subordinate clause which refers back to Tod, and has scheide as a konjunktiv: thus, "Do you want, until death, which may part". All of this is a play on the German equivalent of "Until death do you part".

10. Kardamom New Member

Wales
    German
    Regardless of the different pronounciation of the "r" in Germany and Switzerland/Austria (and even some parts of Southern Germany, like Franken in Bavaria), Rammstein pronounce the "r" like this to underline the dark and rough atmosphere they want to create in their songs. According to Wikipedia, Till Lindemann (the frontman) originally is from Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and lives in Berlin. In neither of these regions the "r" is pronounced like this.

Edit: Oh, just realized the thread is quite old. ;)