Wind blowing so hard

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Man_from_India, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Man_from_India Senior Member

Indian English
    Actually I was searching for a word that should describe wind that suddenly came through my car's side windshield as it was running so fast.The wind didn't stop, rather it was blowing hard.

Context: I was in a car, that was running so fast. I was trying to evoke an image I got from my windshield as the car was running so fast. It was not front windshield, but it was the side one.

"The wind came ____"
  2. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

SW London
    British English
    Perhaps you could use a simile with ' like' and find words for very powerful winds, such as 'gale'. 'Rush' is a verb commonly used for wind coming into an enclosed area, or through an opening like the car side window. Windshield is restricted to the front window of the car. Then you could hunt for a suitable adverb, something to do with strength and force.
    I hope these suggestions are helpful but we can't provide lists or rewrite, and we are supposed to deal with one grammar or language point at a time.

3. Man_from_India Senior Member

Indian English
    It's very helpful HG. Thank you for your suggestion, I will do rest of the task myself.
  4. Man_from_India Senior Member

Indian English
    Well one more thing, if I use "gushed into", would it be ok? I am talking about wind here. I learned "gush" is used with "liquid", may I use "gush" with "wind" as in "The gale-wind gushed into through the windows."

Please comment on it.
  5. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

A COCA search for "wind gushed" generates zero hits. However, the search string "[n*] gushed" reveals that the verb is sometimes a collocate to the noun air, which in turn might be used as a synonym for wind. Here are some example sentences:

Furnace-heated air gushed into the chilly hall.

She took a room near the lobby with an inside corridor. It was stale and airless, and she immediately turned on the vent until cool air gushed in.

Outside Castel Gandolfo, an updraft of mountain air gushed over the top of the cliff and across the high bluff, sending a chill through Bishop Aringarosa as he stepped from the Fiat.
  6. Man_from_India Senior Member

Indian English
    I came across this sentence: And, right when he did that, that's when I just felt the gush of wind and fire all around me. And I went deaf in my ear

So I may say in my own sentence: "Wind gushed in wildly..."
    Is that ok?
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  7. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

From the example sentences, my impression is that the verb gush does not necessarily convey the feeling of having a gale-force wind blowing at you. Not being much of an experimenter, I'd follow Hermione Golightly's advice and use rush. ~ Here's what the grammar says about the particular difficulty that you - and I - are facing: