1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Winkeonkel

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by candel, Jan 21, 2013.

1. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    Hi,

I read in a comment page about the power struggle in the FDp:

Brüderle am besten zurück in die Pfalz als Grüß- und Winkeonkel aber auf jeden Fall weg aus der aktiven Politik, wie alle anderen aus der FDP. Ohne die FDP wird es definitv zunächst mal weniger Lobbyismus im Bund geben.

Brüderle best would be back in the palace as Greeter but in any event out of active politics....

I am unsure what Winkeonkel is...wavinguncle...can anyone confirm please?

Danke.

2. Melissa0106 New Member

German
    I've never read that word.
    Colloquially, the words Onkel and Tante can also be used with a slightly pejorative meaning, in which case they don't refer to an actual relative. I guess the term Winkeonkel denotes someone without actual power or influence whose main task is representing.

3. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Yes, "Grüß- und Winkeonkel" means an old boy who greets people and waves to them.

On the other hand, "die Pfalz" does not mean "the palace". It is the name of a region.

4. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    Me neither, nor have I ever heard these terms, but I understand immediately that they must be synonyms of Grüßaugust and Frühstücksdirektor.

5. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    I've found "figurehead" in the dictionary. And I agree with Gernot, it's a person without any politcal power, just someone who has representative functions. So when you want to be mean you can describe the Queen as "Winketante". :D

6. Melissa0106 New Member

German
    Sounds like a pretty adequate description to me. :cool:

7. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    What about Winkeparlament? Winkeeuropa? Und unsere Koenigin ist gar nicht eine Winketante, jedoch hat sie so viel Macht alse deine vorübergehende Winketante..:)

8. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    What should that be? This is the image behind the expression. How should a parliament do that? It doesn't have an arm to wave. This expression is only intuitive, if applied to a real person.

9. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    Well figuratively? As in parliaments waving goodbye to their "sovereignty" perhaps :)....would you understand that by the word at all?

10. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    As people have explained, Winkeonkel is not an established expression but lives of its immediate intuitiveness to native speakers.

11. ABBA Stanza Senior Member

Hessen, DE
    English (UK)
    The difference is that the word "figurehead" is not negative at all, whereas "Winketante" and "Winkeonkel" seem to me to be doubly negative, in that both the "Winke-" und "-tante/-onkel" bits are negative (the former because it implicitly degrades the person to someone who's main raison d'être is just waving).

Cheers
    Abba

12. candel Senior Member

english Irish.
    Figurehead can be pejorative...the Queen is only a figurehead...

13. Captain Lars

Captain Lars Senior Member

Ducatus Montensis (Alemania)
    Deutsch (Alemán)
    Winkeonkel = Grüßaugust, as Gernot said. A person who's only use is to greet people = to represent.

die Pfalz = the Palatinate