1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Wir gehen zu meiner Schwester, um zu essen. (variations)

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by loureed4, Aug 19, 2013.

1. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hello,

I have this sentence:

"Wir gehen zu meiner Schwester, um zu essen." I have translated this myself from the English: "We are going to my sister's place/home to eat."

But I am not sure whether "zu" is the proper word here but instead "in die" , like: "Wir gehen in die meiner Schwester , um zu essen."

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

2. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    You can leave out Wohnung and use the definite article die as a definite pronoun for it, if you mentioned Wohnung before.

3. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thanks a lot Gernot!! .

I don't understand what you put into brackets. :)

Alternatively, Could I say: "wir gehen bei meiner Schwester zu essen." . I mean to use "bei" instead of "zu"? , and not using "um zu" but only "zu" ?

Again: Thanks a lot!!

4. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    No, you can't use bei instead of zu. Bei forms a situative complement or adjunct, whereas zu forms a directive complement or adjunct. And no: You could not leave out the um with zu, since you want a final infinitive clause and not a simple infinitive clause as a noun clause.

What do you mean you don't understand the part in brackets? You could have looked up Wohnung; it means apartment. The other information I put in brackets is about cases: Genitiv, Dativ, Akkusativ

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Wow, thanks a lot Gernot !!. I will have to reread it because it is somewhat complicated , but I will put enough effort.
    I really, really appreciate your help.

I now understood the part in brackets. ...So helpful. MANY THANKS!!

:)