Wir gehen zu meiner Schwester, um zu essen. (variations)

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by loureed4, Aug 19, 2013.

1. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hello,

I have this sentence:

"Wir gehen zu meiner Schwester, um zu essen." I have translated this myself from the English: "We are going to my sister's place/home to eat."

But I am not sure whether "zu" is the proper word here but instead "in die" , like: "Wir gehen in die meiner Schwester , um zu essen."

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

2. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    You can leave out Wohnung and use the definite article die as a definite pronoun for it, if you mentioned Wohnung before.

3. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thanks a lot Gernot!! .

I don't understand what you put into brackets. :)

Alternatively, Could I say: "wir gehen bei meiner Schwester zu essen." . I mean to use "bei" instead of "zu"? , and not using "um zu" but only "zu" ?

Again: Thanks a lot!!

4. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    No, you can't use bei instead of zu. Bei forms a situative complement or adjunct, whereas zu forms a directive complement or adjunct. And no: You could not leave out the um with zu, since you want a final infinitive clause and not a simple infinitive clause as a noun clause.

What do you mean you don't understand the part in brackets? You could have looked up Wohnung; it means apartment. The other information I put in brackets is about cases: Genitiv, Dativ, Akkusativ

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Wow, thanks a lot Gernot !!. I will have to reread it because it is somewhat complicated , but I will put enough effort.
    I really, really appreciate your help.

I now understood the part in brackets. ...So helpful. MANY THANKS!!

:)