1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

with a gattle in her bud to get a little wild

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bis, Sep 17, 2012.

1. bis Senior Member

Italy
    italian
    Hello everybody
    I've been listening to a country song by Luke Bryan called country girl and it goes like -somebody's sweet little farmer's child with a gattle in her bud to get a little wild, ponytail and a pretty little smile-. I'm not sure about the lyrics but if they're correct I can't figure out the word bud and gattle in this context. Hope you can help.

2. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    According to some of the popular lyric sites, it's "That got it in her blood to get a little wild."

3. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    I found the same question being asked at chacha.com.

This was the only answer: Gattle is a made up word used to represent tendency or inclination toward a particular behavior. The girl has an inclination to get wild when she drinks Bud.

I noticed at a lyrics site that Bud was capitalised, so it looks like this answer has the drink reference right, but can't guarantee the rest of it is correct.

Cross-posted with Pob14 - it looks like it depends which lyrics site you look at :)

4. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    I just listened the song and this is what I hear.

5. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    I had listened to, and watched, a couple of versions of it too, on YouTube - one live and one with accompanying karaoke lyrics. In both cases he sings 'with a gattle in her Bud', and the karaoke lyrics also have it this way. We can't link to YouTube here, but they are easy enough to find.

Maybe there is a 'cleaned up' or 'watered down' version produced for some radio stations, that doesn't mention gattles and Bud? Just a guess . . .

It happens over here from time to time, when a popular song has what some believe is an contentious word.

6. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    The sheet music is sold (legitimately) by an on-demand service called MusicNotes.com, and they have single-page previews of the songs they sell. Luckily, this line is contained in the preview, and it shows the "got it in her blood" version, so apparently that's official.

I listened to the song myself, and what I heard was "rattle in her butt." :D