with salaries 'ranging from the high teens to the low 20s'...

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mcmay, Dec 7, 2012.

1. mcmay Senior Member

Hi, there! Reading a passage on getting employment, I came across the following sentence:

At Cornell’s School of Hotel Administration, for example, bachelor’s degree graduates get an average of four or five job offers with salaries ranging from the high teens to the low 20s and plenty of chances for rapid advancement.

I'm puzzled by the part "ranging from the high teens to the low 20s". I wonder whether that part refers to the age range of the graduates or to the salary range in the sentence.
    Please help me crack this puzzle. Thank you!
  2. Halfdan Member

Canadian English
    No, that refers to the salary range. So, bachelor's degree graduates can earn between, say, $17-23 per hour.
  3. Cagey post mod

English - US
    'Teens' refers to the numbers that end in '-teen' in spoken English: 13 [thirteen] through 19 [nineteen]. It seems likely that by "high teens" the author means 17 or higher, as Halfdan says.

However, I interpret 'salary' to mean the yearly income, which would be counted in the thousands of dollars. By this reading, the "high teens" would be $17,000 or more.
  4. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    That's approximately correct. However, the word "salary" is generally not used to refer to an hourly rate of pay - at least not in the U.S., where Cornell is located. This probably means that typical salaries range from $17,000 to $23,000 per year. That pay range suggests that this passage was written several years ago, since today salaries for university graduates in their professional field are higher than that.

Added in edit: Cross-posted with Cagey, but at least we agree!
  5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    I don't think "salaries" would be based on an hourly figure, so I would expect an annual figure, say $17,000 to 23,000 per year. Because that seems low, I suppose it could be a monthly figure being discussed -- $1700 to 2300 per month -- although I find "teens and 20s" to be an odd description for hundreds here.

Added: Obviously I don't have the service speed necessary to be in the hospitality industry, or if I were, my salary would be in the low teens. :)

More additions: I'm slow because I was checking starting salaries in the hospitality industry. eHow Money suggests this in an article on Salary of Hotel Management Jobs: The starting median salary range for hotel management jobs as of January 2011 was $30,000 to $45,800 per year, reports the PayScale salary survey website.

6. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    But would it be normal for Americans to talk about monthly salaries? It's certainly common in South East Asia and East Asia. In the past, in the UK, people also talked about weekly wages. The norm seems to be moving towards annual salaries.
  7. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    I don't really know what they do now ... I was simply try to justify the amount here since the annual salary being discussed seemed so low. A monthly salary of $1700 to $2300 would give you an annual salary of $20,400 to $27,600 -- at least a little closer to that "$30,000 to $45,800 per year" I found. (Although now that I actually work it out, it's hardly more than $17,000 to $20,000.)

Ignoring the actual salaries, the first thing that came to mind was annual salary, yes.
  8. mcmay Senior Member

In order not to burden the web server, I'd like to give my heartfelt thanks to all that have replied to my post, namely, Halfdan, Cagey, Egmont, Copyright, Natkretep, and Thomas Tompion, and to many others yet to come. It is your helpful reply and your interesting argument that have enabled me to get a glimpse of the salary customs of your countries. More importantly, I perceived from your reply and argument that you Western people are so much full of the spirit of research into minute details of a fact. I assume that might have constituted the force that has from the very beginning of your civilization been pushing forward the progess of your science and humanities.
    Thank you again, my dear friends!