1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

With stand-out pieces

Discussion in 'English Only' started by translation lover, Jan 26, 2013.

1. translation lover Senior Member

Arabic
    Hi, I am working on a file for New Look’s Spring/Summer 2013 Swimwear collection, can someone please clarify the structure of the part in bold?

Throughout the collection, shimmering sequin decoration helps ensure the swimwear truly shines. With stand-out pieces including a gem-encrusted bikini that marries the magical deep blue of the Mediterranean and a black studded two piece with all the glamour of an international jet-set resort.

Thank you

2. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    Even after stripping away the overblown marketing-speak, I'm afraid I can't make the sentence make sense. it feels like there is something missing.

Can you supply a link to a picture of this remarkable garment? It may help make sense of it all.

3. translation lover Senior Member

Arabic
  4. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Thank you. The link is very helpful.

"Stand-out pieces" means that some of the pieces stand out: that is, they are unusual or attention-getting in some way. As one example, the gem-encrusted bikini stands out. I think that refers to the item on page 72, though I didn't look through all of them.

5. translation lover Senior Member

Arabic
    Ok but the thing is I didn't get the bikini marries what with what? The sentence was not clear for me! :(

6. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    I agree. That was what I was talking about in my earlier post. There appears to be something missing.

7. translation lover Senior Member

Arabic
    Do they possibly mean that the stand-out pieces include a gem-encrusted bikini that is colored by the magical deep blue of the Mediterranean, and a black studded two-piece swimwear, that both exemplify all the glamour of an international jet-set resort?
    This the best I could do.

8. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I think it is

With stand-out pieces including [a gem-encrusted bikini that marries the magical deep blue of the Mediterranean] and [a black studded two piece with that has all the glamour of an international jet-set resort.]

Marries = brings together; joins but here "marries the magical deep blue of the Mediterranean" means "is blue"

9. translation lover Senior Member

Arabic
    Finally!! Thank you :D