Wohnen Sie in Berlin?

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Malefictus, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Malefictus New Member

Wohnen Sie in Berlin?

I thought this would read as "Do you live in Berlin?" but translated it seems to read as "If you live in Berlin?"

Could someone help me with what it is actually asking?
  2. Kajjo

Kajjo Senior Member

Deutschland (Hamburg)
    Wohnen Sie in Berlin?
    Do you live in Berlin?

There is definitely no connotation of "if". Maybe you need to provide more context to solve your issue.
  3. Malefictus New Member

I'm working out of a German workbook I brought. It's pretty basic.

"Fragen und Antworten. Was passt? Kombinieren Sie.

Wohnen Sie in Berlin?"

and I thought the answer that would go with that is "Nein, ich wohne in Frankfurt."

The workbook at that point gives you 6 different questions with 6 different answers and you basically link the appropriate question with an answer.
  4. Malefictus New Member

It would probably help to say I used Google translate to translate it. Judging by your comment I probably shouldn't be using it?
  5. berndf Moderator

German (Germany)
    Indeed.:D Google translate is fine to get a rough idea what a sentence might means. But not when it comes to subtitles. This could be a fragment of an if-then sentence, but that requires a very special context. Example: Wohnen Sie in Berlin, so wissen Sie wass es heißt in einer Metropole zu leben (If you live in Berlin then you know what it means to live in a metropolis). But then there is no question mark.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  6. Malefictus New Member

I see. Thank you for the assistance. :thumbsup:
  7. Resa Reader Senior Member

Forget about google translate. A machine cannot grasp the context. In 95% of the cases there are grammar and/or vocabulary mistakes and the translations are often really hilarious.