1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Women's Apparel / Ropa de mujer

Discussion in 'Multilingual Glossaries' started by VenusEnvy, Oct 8, 2005.

1. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Here I have a glossary of items of clothing that women wear. (Sorry, men!) It is broken down into sections.

If you have any trouble with an English definition, let me know. Consequently, one or two don't have definitions, as I wasn't sure how to define them! Help would be appreciated. :p

So, here you are! It's a doozy! :eek:

EDIT:
    Should the patterns section be there? I included it because I used them so often to describe an item of clothing... Let me know...

2. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    I added:
    • German column
    I ask:
    • what a swoop-neck shirt is (can you show me a really close-to-reality pic, please?)
    • about a tube top (because of the lack of definition, I can't figure out what that should be)
    • if I can leave out the German translations for double-/triple-hook bra, wrap-around shirt and tier skirt, since I don't know the appropraite translations (let me wait for the other languages and see how they will translate those words)
    • where the difference between boot-cut jeans and flare jeans is
    I suggest:
    • to change the German and Portuguese column titles to "Deutsch" and "Português", respectively, since you also wrote Español, Fançais, Castellano and Italiano instead of Spanish, French, Castilian and Italian. ;)
    My final say is:
    • that's really a doozy! :D

3. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    This shirt has a neck-line that is swoop-neck. It's circular, and it's sort of low.
    Here is one tube top, and another.

I'll give examples anyway:
    Wrap-around skirt
    A double-hook bra uses a double-hook
    A triple-hook bra uses three hooks
    Tier skirt with three tiers

These are flare jeans, while these pants are even more flared.
    Boot-cut jeans are wider at the foot, but not AS wide as flared jeans.

Did any of these images help?......

Oopsie! Sounds good, Dani. ;)

4. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Some did, but you have to know so many words in order to infer from pics what word one uses. It's really hard, because some clothes or apparels aren't used in Germany at all - and some of them (like tier skirts) are so old-fashioned that I don't even know the names. :eek:

Let me wait for native speakers of other languages ... maybe I can figure some clothes out from French or Spanish. :)

Thank you anyway.

EDIT: I have yet another question: What is the very first column for? ;)

5. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Breaking the garments into groups helped me to make the list. Should I take them out?

6. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    No, I was not refering to the "titles" or "groups", but to the very left column, before "English". There's always one blank before the English word on the left. You see? :)

7. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Yes, look at the second line. 2A says Shirt. Everything below it deals with shirts, and different types. 24A says Patterns, 33A says Skirt.

It just groups them into categories. Do you think I should delete them?....

8. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Oh sorry about that. You're right, please don't delete it, it's pretty fine as it is. :)

9. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Mandarina: The glossaries forum is for members who want to comment/contribute to the glossaries posted. If you'd like to add some of these words to the glossary on Women's Apparel, feel free to do so by following the instructions.
    Keep in mind that this particular glossary deals with WOMEN's apparel, as some terms listed below are associated with men's clothing....

I'm not sure how to handle this one....
    Perhaps you'll have to wait for a Spanish-speaker to fill in the Spanish equivalents...

In the meantime, I can add some words that you've listed here.

Sleeve-less
    Sleeveless

10. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    I added a few.

Attached Files:

11. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    I added a couple of patterns and some Spanish translations. I like how they're grouped.

I think that you should think about changing "wife-beater" to "a-shirt" or another term.

12. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Thanks so much for contibuting. ;)
    I actually didn't know of any other terms. "A-shirt", eh? New to me, Mike... What other names does it have?...

13. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC

I dunno about suggesting the removal of a word.

However, it should be identified as offensive and the context for such offense explained.

A "wife beater" is not just a "shirt", its not a "t shirt", its a sleeveless t-shirt, or a tank top.

To explain why a tank top ended up being called a wife beater would apparently offend many, so i'll take a pass.

14. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    They're called "a-shirts" or "tank-top-style undershirts" (not very easy to say, I know). I'm not suggesting removal, only changing the English entry to something more literal.
    Food for thought.

15. nycphotography

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    By the way, I really really would love to see a cantonese column, using both pinyin and traditional characters. (Anyone who's dabbled in fashion knows why I want anything I can find in cantonese... its where just about everything is made now).

I have several pages of hand written notes that I accumulated in hong kong. I wrote down what I was trying to say and various people filled in the cantonese.

If you know someone willing to enter them, I can scan them and email them.

16. nycphotography

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    I am taking this glossary and expanding it into a general purpose one covering

fashion
    clothing
    sewing
    textiles
    womens wear
    mens wear
    outerwear
    and footwear.

Why?

Because I seriously needed it when I was in hong kong!!!

But i'm out of time this week.... and I wont have it ready until next week...

So you can all tell me if you would prefer for me to put it in this thread and replace the womens wear one? or start a new thread / new glossary and let this one be separate?

Venus, If you like, I can email it to you and you can take ownership and merge it with this one. Or I can finish and upload it next week.

Just let me know what you prefer.

17. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Replace the glossary????......
    I'm a bit confused about what you're talking about... Are you talking about adding in the terms above, or creating a new glossary that deals with _____?____?

Or, are you talking about starting a new more general glossary, perhaps to include men's clothing?

Did you make a new glossary?

I'm so confused.... Pardon me, nyc, it's been a long day. Fill me in on what exactly you mean, please. :)

18. Lems

Lems Senior Member

São Paulo
    Brazil - Brazilian Portuguese
    Hi Venus

Meanwhile, I'm enclosing the Brazilian Portuguese terms from an Apollo point of view... I'll invite the girls from the Port-Eng Forum to complement it.

Cheers

Lems

Attached Files:

19. nycphotography

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    Yeah, that. ;-)

I was talking about starting a new more general one, and asking if you would prefer it to be separate or merged with the one you started.

I have no personal preference, but it may reduce redundancy to have just one.

Up to you.

20. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Hmmm, wow.... hmmm.... Good suggestion, nyc.

I think I'd rather keep the women's clothing glossary as is for a couple of reasons:
    - We've already begun it, and merging them would prove daunting and unpleasant, I think
    - Although I believe there is some overlap regarding the more general terms (shirt, pants, belt), this glossary really caters to the need of its theme by including gender-specific articles of clothing
    - A more general glossary would be so large that it would be easier for the reader to divide it up into sections (women's, men's, children's.....) anyway

If you decide to begin a glossary on men's clothing, children's clothing, or clothing in general, I'll support you. :)

21. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    The Portuguese section is missing some gender codes. I also noticed that more than one translation was on one line, so I separated them.

22. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Spain
    Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    I added Spanish words.

:)

Attached Files:

23. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Here comes the PT version.
    Maybe I'll have to come back in a couple definition.

Attached Files:

24. Olegaria Senior Member

Australia
    Spanish & Catalan
    I have humbly added some more spanish names, but there are so many that I would not have a clue how they are called. :)

25. moza_moza Junior Member

Sweden
    français - France
    some french words, there are many others that aren't there, and some other that i can't remember, because they are precise and i'm not really interested in clothes :eek:

Attached Files:

26. mithrellas

mithrellas Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish & catalan - Catalonia (Spain)
    I have added catalan column.

27. stella_maris_74

stella_maris_74 Mod About Chocolate

Rome
    Italian - Italy
    Hello!
    I have filled in most italian translations.
    Great project :)

ciao,
    dani

Attached Files:

28. mithrellas

mithrellas Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish & catalan - Catalonia (Spain)
    Hi stella,

You should download the latest version of the file because if you don't, we lose the last changes (in this case the whole catalan column and some words in other languages). :)

here you can find how to participate. ;)

I add the updated file.

Attached Files:

29. stella_maris_74

stella_maris_74 Mod About Chocolate

Rome
    Italian - Italy
    I'm sorry, Mithrellas!
    here's what I've done: click on the "attachment icon" from the forum homepage in this one thread. A list of files appeared, #6 seemed to be the latest one, and that's the one I have downloaded, updated with my additions, uploaded with number 7.
    Now I've checked back the file list and I see there're two #6. I must have picked the wrong one.
    I'll be more careful next time, thanks for pointing that out :)

ciao,

dani

30. pachanga7 Senior Member

Southeast U.S.
    U.S. English
    I'd like to suggest some additions to the English list:

nightgown
    camisole
    vest
    padded bra
    support bra/jog bra
    body suit
    leotard
    culottes
    mock turtleneck
    bonnet
    beret
    undies (as a slang term)
    evening gown/formal wear
    cocktail dress
    prom dress
    gown
    lingerie
    socks
    footies
    tailored/fitted jacket
    bouffant/full slip
    slit

Also, could slacks/trousers be combined into one entry? It seems they are the same thing, or am I mistaken?

One more thing, I know a few more words in Spanish that would seem to fit in somewhere:

playera
    sostén
    panuelo
    calcetines