1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Word completion in the search box

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by nutmeg, Jun 9, 2012.

1. nutmeg Junior Member

U.S.: New York City; English
    Is there any way to turn off the the drop-down menu with word completions in the search box? I use Firefox. I understand that it was in the old WordRef version but I didn't have it for some reason.

Thanks.

2. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

Other than turning off JavaScript completely, there is no way. Can you tell me why you don't like it?

Mike

3. nutmeg Junior Member

U.S.: New York City; English
    I find the drop-down options distracting while I'm typing in a word.

I'm not likely to use them because that would require moving my hand from the keyboard to use either the mouse or the arrow keys in order to choose them (unless there's a way I haven't discovered).

And it seems that now the return key has three functions: After typing in a word, the first return turns off the options. Then you have to press return again to get to the definition. And if you press return again it clears the entry and you can start over. It took me a while to figure out why the definition of a word either wasn't appearing, or disappearing when I wanted it. I looked at the FAQ and didn't find any explanation of this.

If you type in a misspelled word, the returns function as above. However, if you type in a phrase, the first return takes you to that page and the second return clears it. So not only do the returns have different functions, but their value is not always the same.

On a separate issue, I have Firefox 13.0, recently updated. The search button doesn't appear on the page. This is the button to the right of the box that says "Spanish-English," which is to the right of the blank box for entering the word.

And lastly, I love this site and think you're doing a great job. I spend hours looking up words and phrases. Often there are glimpses of life's various conditions, poignant in their brevity, e.g., "Can you tell me how to say in Spanish ``I'm so sorry we argued at the airport; please forgive me and come back.''"

4. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

Ah, Firefox on the Mac. I thought all the problems with that browser-OS combination had been fixed. We will look into it to see what we can improve there.

Thanks,
    Mike