word for 'book-lover'

Discussion in 'English Only' started by fatbaby, Nov 24, 2007.

1. fatbaby Senior Member

Beijing
    China Chinese
    Hi, There,
    I try to find words that describe such kind persons:
    Love reading so much,even forget eating and sleeping, read every book not matter what subjects it is about.
    I know bookworm, do we have a stronger one?
    Thanks!

2. anothersmith Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English, U.S.
    I don't know of a word for this other than bookworm.

3. nzfauna

nzfauna Senior Member

Wellington, New Zealand
    New Zealand, English
    Perhaps a "librophile"?

4. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    A bibliophile?

(I'm sorely tempted to point to a fellow member's nickname :D)

EDIT: What's wrong with "book-lover," anyway?

5. anothersmith Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English, U.S.
    It would be bibliophile (Greek/Greek) rather than librophile (Latin/Greek).

But I'm with Trisia, I think book-lover is fine.

6. fatbaby Senior Member

Beijing
    China Chinese
    Thank you all!
    Do some of the words you mentioned have negative implication?
    if you call a person a bookworm/bibliophile/book-lover..., would he be happy to think it is a compliment?

7. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    If they really are book-lovers, I think they should be pleased. It might depend on what your relationship with them is, or the tone you use.

You can make almost any word sound like an insult, if your really try.

8. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Maybe we could coin a few words that might well meet your need--bibliomaniac, biblioholic.

9. fatbaby Senior Member

Beijing
    China Chinese
    Interesting! bibliophile, bibliomaniac,.
    I check dictionary.com. it seems that bibliophile is a person love books(reading ?) or love collecting books( Does it necessarily mean reading , maybe just like collecting?).
    Waiting for your answers.Thanks.

10. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Bibliophile can be someone who loves old books and likes to collect them. I don't suppose he/she isn't interested in their content :D

It can also mean someone who loves to read. They don't necessarily have to have a giant library, but it's something I'd expect.

11. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Hi, Trisia.
    I still remember once a professor of English dubbed me with "wordaholic" because I was a maniac of English words. Besides, there are alcoholic, Angloholic, workaholic, and so on. Then why not a new word that might meet the need of this thread starter--biblioholic or bibliomaniac?

12. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Hi, QD.

I didn't say anything about your words because I was waiting for the native speakers to say what they thought of them. I personally think they're very nice. :)

13. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Trisia, for your kind words.
    I just need your confirmation because I'm not very confident myself.

14. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    I like 'bibliomaniac' (someone who is mad about books) or 'readaholic' (someone who is addicted to reading)

15. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Sue, for your confirmation.
    And I think your suggestion "readaholic" is pretty neat.

16. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Absolutely not! A bibliophile may never read a single page. The word refers to
    a person who loves and collects books as physical objects. There is no implication
    of a love of reading. Bibliophiles often do love reading, but that is not a requirement
    for book collecting, or for the admiration of the arts and crafts associated with making books.

17. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Concurred!
    A biblio (book) phile (lover) doesn't necessarily read a single page though they collects tons of books.
    For the sake of curiosity, are there existent English words that really match fatbaby's query?

18. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    A person who does any behavior to extreme sometimes is called a fanatic.

You could call someone who loves to read all the time a book fanatic or a reading fanatic.

AngelEyes
    Book & Reading Fanatic

19. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    This is pretty interesting stuff, Cuchu. I was convinced that one of the meanings was that of someone who loves reading (although I agree with you that a book collector does not have to read books any more than someone who likes ditches to dig them himself).

So, I checked and you're right (sorry to have mislead :eek:).

I will go as far as to say that in normal conversation, I would understand a bibliophile also to like reading, and I would have no problem calling one of my friends that, even if they don't have a stroke when they see a book with an unusual cover.

20. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Good shot! Angel.
    Maybe they are the existing living English words that match the thread's starter's request besides "bookworm." Speaking of which (bookworm), I don't see the reason that it doesn't fit. Do you?

21. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    Not at all...it works perfectly for me. Bookworm also has that additional meaning, in my mind, of a person who reads to learn. It's not just someone who reads for enjoyment. You would call a student who always has his nose in a book, a bookworm, too.

Now a fanatic is someone who's reading schedule is in the extreme from most other people. These are readers who love to read over doing almost anything else.

Nobody's forcing them. They do it for the love of the book and the words.

Book fanatics read the telephone book if that's all that's sitting there.

Your "aholic" suggestion is a good one, QD. It shows that your fanaticism with words is catching up with you and allowing you to creatively "coin" (make up) new words that also work.

AngelEyes

22. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Angel, for the expressive explanation and the kind words for me.