Word for Castle Door.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by blueskies, Jun 16, 2009.

1. blueskies New Member

english - french
    I am looking for a word to describe a Castle door. What is a door consisting of two flaps on hinges on both sides and shaped with an arch on top called? It is the typical large Castle door at the entrance. I could also be the front Church door.

thank you

2. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    You mean this? Does it have a special name?

3. pauloliebre Senior Member

England
    British English
    It is often called a portal.

(. a. A door, gate, doorway, or gateway, of stately or elaborate construction; the entrance to a large or magnificent building, esp. when emphasized in architectural treatment; any door or gate (chiefly poet.).. a. A door, gate, doorway, or gateway, of stately or elaborate construction; the entrance to a large or magnificent building, esp. when emphasized in architectural treatment; any door or gate (chiefly poet.). From OED

4. blueskies New Member

english - french
    Yes SwissPete that is exactly it. The problem is a castle door does not necessarily have two flaps and an arch. Perhaps wooden gate is the closest I can get.

5. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    It really is just called a "door". I would use "portal" to refer to the opening, but the wooden pieces in the opening are the "doors" (or the "gates", if you are referring to something in an archway in a curtain wall, rather than at the entrance of a building.)

6. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I wouldn't use gate unless the doors open to an outside courtyard of some kind. If the doors open into a room it would not be a gate, in my opinion.

When I read "large wooden gates," I picture something like this:

http://www.traditional-wooden-gates.com/cms/thesite/public/uploads/uploadsbank/1156944507_809.jpg

7. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I checked a very good print visual dictionary, looking for words that have to do with the kind of doors you describe in the context of castles and churches. I didn't find anything besides "doors". :)