word placeholder

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by HYCHIN, Jul 28, 2013.

1. HYCHIN Junior Member

Cantonese
    Hmm... I hope you understand my question. I am not sure if they are named like this. I mean the word or the sound you say when you deliberately omit some part of your sentence.

For example, you are a grammar teacher and you read aloud an open cloze question:

I arrived at the ferry pier early this morning and ______ for Sarah, who finally turned up 20 minutes after the last ship departed.

When you read aloud this sentence, what word or sound will you say to represent the blank?

I say "toot" (unaspirated) to replace the blank for this English sentence.
    If the sentence is Chinese, I also say "乜" to replace a blank. "乜" sounds like "mud". In Cantonese it means "what".

2. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    I'm sorry if I didn't get it, but are you trying to find, how in various languages, people refer to the empty space between the words?
    In Greek we call it «κενό» [ce'no] (neut. adj.) --> void < Classical adj. «κενός, -νὴ, -νόν» kĕnós (masc.), kĕnḕ (fem.), kĕnón (neut.) --> void, idle (PIE *ḱen-, empty).
    Therefore, per your example, the teacher reads "I arrived at the ferry pier early this morning and «κενό» for Sarah, who finally turned up 20 minutes after the last ship departed".
    Also, I've heard it as "dash", in Greek, «παύλα» ['pavla] (fem.) --> dash < Classical fem. noun «παῦλα» paûlă --> stopping, ending point (with unexplained etymology).
    Thus, your example could also be "I arrived at the ferry pier early this morning and «παύλα» for Sarah, who finally turned up 20 minutes after the last ship departed".

3. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    In tests we use rather dotting.

I arrived at the ferry pier early this morning and ........... for Sarah, who finally turned up 20 minutes after the last ship departed.

I should read:

I arrived at the ferry pier early this morning and vytečkováno for Sarah, who finally turned up 20 minutes after the last ship departed.

vytečkováno = dotted; (tečka = dot)

4. clansaorsa Junior Member

France
    English UK
    In spoken English simply 'blank' would do. If the word in question could be construed as rude then 'bleep' - as in television or radio using a bleep sound to cover unwanted expletives - could be used.

5. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I think you are referring to the sound we produce. In Dutch I cannot see one answer. It would have been puntje-puntje-puntje (dot-dot-dot) before, because there generally were dots there.

The space is called
    - witruimte (white/ blank space)

6. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    In hebrew the sound we do for the complete-the-blank is 'mm (the ' is like a 'a' sounds but with no movement, like the k in the word take - the k doesnt have a movement),
    or umm, or h'mm, or simply saying משהו mashehu/mashu = something.

Good day :)

7. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    Russian: no special word, we use our own inventiveness. For example, «слово пропущено» ("the word is missed out") will do.

8. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

I think this "toot" writes 嘟 in Chinese and is from the "beep" sound for US TV censorship, isn't it?