words with "nn" in Spanish

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Olmos18, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Olmos18 Senior Member

USA
    I'm wondering if there are many words in Spanish with "nn." The ones that I'm familiar with have either the prefix "in" or are commands in the Uds. form. Are there any other words that don't fit into these two categories?? Thanks a lot!

Examples:

Innato Innoble

Dennoslo Muestrennoslo

2. marcoszorrilla

marcoszorrilla Senior Member

Español - España
    Acabo de hacer una búsqueda en el DRAE y existen 128 palabras con la doble nn.

3. Olmos18 Senior Member

USA
    I'll have to do the same. Thanks a lot for your quick response!

4. Olmos18 Senior Member

USA
    I have tried and I'll have to admit that my computer skills are lacking to say the least. How do I go about that kind of search in the DRAE? Thanks!

5. marcoszorrilla

Español - España
    For that purpose, you must buy the DRAE dictionary in CD-ROM

6. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Probably not.

7. Jellby

Jellby Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    Connotación, perenne...

8. beardouk Senior Member

La Habana, Cuba
    English, from England
    connatural
    connotar
    connubio

Not sure that I should mention the cunn.... word in my dictionary.

9. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    innecesario

10. Tadeo Senior Member

Español (México)
    Examples:

Innato Innoble

Dennoslo Muestrennoslo

I was reading the post and this called my attention;

Dénoslo
    Muéstrenoslo

They don't take double n

11. Mago Rojo New Member

United States
    I thought Uds. commands, when attached to "nos," did form double n's. (Dennos) Am I mistaken?

12. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    The singular doesn't, the plural does.

Dénoslo (singular dé)
    Dénnoslo (plural den)

13. Mago Rojo New Member

United States
    Ah, okay, yeah. I was just wondering about the plural ustedes form (Den), since I believed Olmos18 was demonstrating the plural only.

14. *TinkerBell* New Member

Spain - spanish
    Hi!
    There a re a big different: when you're talking in singular: "Don Pepe, dénos el periódico, dénoslo ."
    But when you're talking in plural: "Señores, dénnos el periódico, dénnoslo."
    Because when you're using the plural form of the verb "den" and the pronombre "nos", the result is a double n.

In the other hand, there're a lot of adjectives than begin with an n, and in his negative form employ the infix -in, (se dice así "infix"? i mean a particle right in the beginning of the word). So the resultant word is "inn..."
    Some examples:
    "innavegable"
    "innumerable"
    "innoble"
    etc

But, as you said, there are a lot odf different words with "nn" that have no connection with these rules.
    :)

15. marcoszorrilla

Español - España

Las dos son correctas pero diferentes.

Referido a Vd. - por favor denoslo.

Referido a Vds. - por favor dennoslo.

16. Jellby

Jellby Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    By the way, some words that were written with "nn" in Latin, changed it into "ñ" in Spanish (that's the origin of "ñ"), that's one of the reasons why words with "nn" are rather scarce in current Spanish.

17. mhp Senior Member

American English
    There are only 83! Unless you count words of different gender (i.e. -o -a) as distinct words.
    annamita, brevipenne, cannabáceo, cannabis, cannáceo, circunnavegación, circunnavegar, connacional, connatural, connaturalización, connaturalizar, connaturalmente, connivencia, connivente, connombre, connosco, connotación, connotado, connotar, connotativo, connovicio, connubial, connubio, connumerar, cunnilingus, ennavajar, enneciarse, ennegrecer, ennegrecimiento, ennoblecedor, ennoblecer, ennoblecimiento, ennoviarse, ennudecer, estannífero, giennense, gunneráceo, hannoveriano, hinnible, hosanna, innacible, innatismo, innato, innatural, innavegable, innecesariamente, innecesario, innegable, innegablemente, innegociable, innoble, innocencia, innocente, innocuidad, innocuo, innombrable, innominable, innominado, innoto, innovación, innovador, innovamiento, innovar, innumerabilidad, innumerable, innumerablemente, innumeridad, innúmero, jiennense, perennal, perennalmente, perenne, perennemente, perennidad, perennifolio, perennigélido, perennizar, pinna, pinnado, pinnípedo, prima donna, sinnúmero, zinnia.

18. marcoszorrilla

Español - España
    Yes the Application count words of different gender as distinct words.

19. Olmos18 Senior Member

USA
    How very interesting! Thanks to you all for clearing this up. Saludos!

20. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    But the main reason is that Spanish spelling is based primarily on pronunciation, rather than etymology, as in English. (Words like "connect", "well", and "spell" could well be spelled "conected", "wel", "spel" in English, if it weren't for the conservativeness of English orthography.)