Workin' them angels

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by TerMight, Dec 5, 2012.

1. TerMight Junior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina, español
    Hello all.
    There is a Rush song that rocks called "Workin' them angels". I still cannot get the idea of the title, not even reading the lyrics. Can you help me out?

Driving away to the east, and into the past
    History receeds in my rear-view mirror
    Carried away on a wave of music down a desert road
    Memory humming at the heart of a factory town

All my life
    I've been workin' them angels overtime
    Riding and driving and living
    So close to the edge
    Workin' them angels - Overtime

Sorry if I don't make my wild guess, it's just that I don't have a clue!!

Thanks in advance :)
  2. Tazzler Senior Member

American English
    My guess is that he means that he has always tested his luck. Angels have protected him and he speaks as if they were his employees. He is working them overtime-> he is working them hard-> they have to work hard for him to protect him.
  3. Biffo Senior Member

English - England
    Algunas personas creen que tienen ángeles de la guarda. Él toma muchos riesgos. Por lo tanto, los suyos tienen que trabajar duro. (please correct my Spanish)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. TerMight Junior Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Argentina, español
    Makes sense! Thank you, folks!!

Biffo, your spanish was excellent :). Too many stops for me. You can also say:
  5. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Is it angles or angels? Two very different words. One has a hard G and the other has a soft G.

There is a common expression "working the angles" and if the song is not referring to that expression, it's making a play on words.

Working the angles means using wily means to get what you want, taking advantage of the rules to get something that you shouldn't, looking for every opportunity to get what you want, that kind of thing.
  6. Biffo Senior Member

English - England
    Good point. However in this case it is definitely 'angels'. You can listen to the track online and there is no doubt about it.