Workshop for Southern Africa

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by sarahbr, Nov 30, 2012.

1. sarahbr Junior Member

Egypt
    English
    Hi there

I am trying to translate the phrase 'Workshop for Southern Africa'.

That is to say, it was a workshop held in the region of Southern AFrica, that was attended by representatives from a lot of countries within the region of Southern Africa.

So firstly, is Southern Africa (the region) "Южная Африка" - even though this is the same as South Africa (country).

Secondly which preposition would you use? Would you say 'Семинар по южной Африке' 'Семинар для южной Африки' or something else??

Thank you

Sarah

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Семинар по Южной Африке.
    Для is wrong and Южная Африка is always capitalized when the region is meant (like Северная Африка, Юго-Восточная Азия, etc). And it hardly can be mixed up with the name of the country, because шт Russian is usually ЮАР - Южно-Африканская республика. Южная Африка is not very typical to call the country in Russian, especially in official texts like yours.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. sarahbr Junior Member

Egypt
    English
    Спасибо большое!

4. e2-e4 X Senior Member

Русский
    Maroseika, are you sure «Семинар по Южной Африке» is not a "workshop on Southern Africa", ie one which is attended by people from all over the world who'd like to know what other people in the field think of Southern Africa? At least, I would think exactly that, or maybe I would think that only some American or some European people have attended the workshop.

I would rather think of something like «южноафриканский симпозиум» to mean what sarahbr had described.

5. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Yes, agree, семинар по is confusing here, I missed these details in the initial question. But семинар для is too English like. Maybe it is really симпозиум, whp knows...