Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Bansha, May 4, 2013.

1. Bansha Junior Member

I'm trying to gather all the ways to say "World" ... the only ones I know so far are globe, mondo (mundi), and terra? Any other additions - welcome :)
  2. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

1.)Tagalog: Daigdig 2.) Dumaget: Dayegdeg Sometimes in Tagalog "Sansinukob" is also a world for Globe in poetic/biblical expressions.
  3. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
  4. LilianaB Banned

US New York
    Pasaulis --Lithuanian. The Earth -- Žemė, the Earthly globe -- Žemės rutylus
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  5. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

USA Northeast
    Monde (French), Mundo (Spanish and Portuguese), Món (Catalan) = World
    Terre (French), Tierra (Spanish), Terra (Portuguese and Catalan) = Earth
    Globe (French), Globo (Spanish and Portuguese), Globus (Catalan) = Globe
  6. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    “Earth” (Latin terra, Greek ge) is the planet on which we live.
    “World” (mundus, kosmos) originally and strictly means the whole universe, but in most languages it is used also to mean “earth”.
    “Globe” (globus, sphairos) is any spherical object, but is used figuratively to mean the planet Earth.
  7. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Hi Bansha,

In Greek:

«Γη» [ʝi] (fem.) --> earth < Classical fem. noun «γῆ» gê --> earth (with obscure etymology)
    «Κόσμος» ['kozmos] (masc.) --> world < Classical masc. noun «κόσμος» kósmŏs --> order, ornament (with obscure etymology)
    «Οικουμένη» [iku'meni] (fem.) --> inhabited world < Classical fem. present participle «οἰκουμένη» œkoumé of v. «οἰκέω/οἰκῶ» œkéō (uncontracted) / œkô (contracted) --> to live, reside (PIE *weik-, clan cf. Skt. वेश (veza), house; Lat. vīcus, village, quarter)
    «Υφήλιος» [i'fili.os] (fem.) --> the whole world < Koine masc. adj. «ὑφήλιος (κόσμος)» hŭpʰḗliŏs (kósmŏs) --> lit. the world under the sun, metaph. the whole world < compound, prefix, preposition and adverb «ὑπὸ» hupò --> under, below (PIE *upo-, under) + masc. noun «ἥλιος» hḗliŏs --> the sun (PIE *seh₂u-el- / *sh₂u-l-, sun, cf Skt. स्वर् (svAr), sun, sunlight; Lat. sōl > It. sole, Fr. soleil, Sp. sol)
    «Υδρόγειος» [i'ðroʝi.os] (fem.) --> globe < Modern constructed adj. (1760) in order to render the Fr. globe terrestre: «Ὑδρόγειος σφαῖρα» [i'ðroʝi.os 'sfera] lit. terrestrial sphere; compound, combing form «ὑδρο-» hudrŏ- of Classical neut. noun «ὕδωρ» húdōr --> water (PIE *wed-, water) + Classical fem. noun «γῆ» gê --> earth.
  8. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States

World - verden

Earth- jorden

Globe - jordklode
  9. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    Värld, världen
    - world, the world
    Jord, jorden - earth, the earth
    Jordklot, jordklotet - globe, the globe
  10. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch, very much parallel with Swedish:
    - wereld, -en
    - aarde, -s
    - literary, old: aardkloot (but this kloot refers to ball, and has some connotation with male organs, so that...)
  11. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    World - мир /mir/ - homograph with the word мир (peace); свет /sviet/ (also means "light")
    Earth-Земля /zemlia/ (also means soil)
    Globe -шар /shar/ (any orb, sphere)
  12. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    The link between 'lght' and 'world' and 'peace' is a common feature of all Slavic languages, I believe. Do you have an explanation for that?
  13. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    I do not have a clear explanation, let's wait for more knowledgeable foreros. What I know is:

world/light – this is not just Slavic phenomenon: in French, for example, to be born = voir le jour (there was a thread on that)

world/peace – in modern Russian these are just homographs, they were spelled differently in pre-1918-reform Russian: миръ (peace) and міръ (world). I believe the etymology of these words is different.
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  14. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    As for world/ light: I am beginning to understand, but then we can use about the same expression : op de wereld komen, het licht zien. But then: we would not say the words mean the same.

Do you only use them in that expression like that? I thought that was a real homonym. However, if it is only in that expression, I think it is not really...
  15. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    No, свет as "world" can be used in different contexts and expressions, I'd say it is slightly more colloquial then мир, but otherwise they mean the same.
  16. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    But am I right when I think it has some figurative meaning, referring to life and existence, just the way as in 'voir le jour'?
  17. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    I guess it does have figurative meaning, in Russian we do have expressions like "voir le jour":
    появиться на свет /poyavit'sia na svet/ - to be born (lit. to appear into the light/world)
    выйти в свет /vyiti v svet/ - speaking of a book or journal, to be issued, to be published (lit. to exit into the light/world)

Actually, свет also means sociely, aristocracy, so
    выйти в свет (speaking of a person) means to go out (to a fancy affair) / to go to a ball / to be introduced to society (débutantes).
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  18. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Then I think the word does not strictly have two meanings, but I must admit that I cannot judge. Thanks a lot though for the interesting information!
  19. jana.bo99

jana.bo99 Senior Member

Cro, Slo
    World - svet

World - svijet

World - Die Welt
  20. LiseR Junior Member

Pasaule (World),

Zeme (Earth),

Zemeslode (Globe)
  21. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    In Hebrew:

World: עולם [olam]

Earth: ארץ [aretz] (planet earth: כדור הארץ [kadur ha-arets] )
    Globe: גלובוס [globus]
  22. Holger2014 Senior Member

In Estonian:
    - maa = earth (general), land
    Maa = Earth (planet)
    ilm = weather
    maailm = world
    kera = ball, orb, ...
    maakera = globe
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  23. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Armenian աշխարհ (ašxarh) "world", from Persian xšaθra- "kingdom, realm"

Welsh byd "world" < *gwitu- < IE *gwei- "live" + nominalizing *-tu-.