Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by checkthisout043, Sep 9, 2006.

1. checkthisout043 New Member

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with translating this lyric from English to Italian:
    "Would you lie with me and just forget the world?"
    ~Thank you!
  2. disegno

disegno Senior Member

San Francisco
    United States English
    I will give it a go...

Ti sdraieresti con me e per un momento dimentichi il mondo.
  3. checkthisout043 New Member

Thank you so much!
  4. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Hi, checkthisout043, welcome to the forum!
    I suppose the right verb is 'lie', in this case I'd say:
    "Vorresti sdraiarti con me e (semplicemente) dimenticare il mondo/il resto?"
  5. Pirlo

Pirlo Senior Member

Ciao Necsus,

Changing lie to like doesn't make sense. He means lie as in, lying down with somebody, or being with somebody and forgetting that anything else existed except each other.

Sounds semi-romantic talk. :p
  6. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Thank you, Pirlo.
    I suppose that checkthisout043 has written 'like' instead of 'lie' because 'would you like' is a very common expression in English...
  7. Pirlo

Pirlo Senior Member

It'd make more sense to the foreign audience probably if he said: "Would you like to lie with me?" Hopefully this clarifies it.

8. mateintwo Senior Member

Sweden, Former resident USA
    On a Google search this showed up as a song title
    If I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Lie with can also mean make love so I then try

Se solo mi stendo qui farresti amore con me ignorando il mondo?

Is stendersi right for lay??
    Also noted lie down translated as risposare that may work here
    Riposeresti dimenticado il mondo?
  9. Mickele

Mickele Senior Member

Italian, Tuscany
    Hope this helps. Ciao :)
  10. TrentinaNE Senior Member

English (American)
    Ciao, mate. That is "to lay" or "to get laid." Lie is not used in that context. ;) (Except that one might tell a lie in order to get laid. :eek: )

11. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Ti sdraieresti di fianco a me in modo da non badare più a tutto ciò che ci circonda? (not literal, maybe a little bit romantic).
  12. mateintwo Senior Member

Sweden, Former resident USA
    Actually Wordreference translates lie with under compound forms = fare l’amore and amazingly if you check fare compound forms it shows fare l’amore = 1. lie with 2. make love 3. roll in the hay (not exactly the order of common usage).

On another online dictionary lie with shows asArchaic To have sexual intercourse with.

It is certainly a term hardly used any more but a similar form sleep with (as in the movie Sleeping with the enemy) is still quite commonto mean make love.

But in the context of lyrics I can very well imagine the writer meant lie with to mean to make love

13. TrentinaNE Senior Member

English (American)
    Grazie, mate, I had forgotten the archaic meaning of lie. It's been a very long time since I have heard it used that way! ;) You may well be right about the lyrics.

Saluti, e grazie di nuovo.
  14. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    I agree. "Lie with" puts in me in mind of the King James Bible (17th Century) -- "he lay with her and begat a son" type of construction. I think it can still have this connotation in a poetic context, but wouldn't be used in ordinary speech. (Where's Paul? He likes these archaic euphemisms in his pursuit of saucy wenches. ;) )