1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

would you mind closing the door?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Banbha, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Banbha

Banbha Senior Member

Cork, Ireland
    Irish & English
    Hola a todos! :)

What would be the best words to use to tone down an order/imperative form in Spanish?? In english you might add words like ''just/simply/would you mind'' to make it less of an order and more of a favour
    eg Close the door = an order
    Could you just close the door/ would you mind closing the door= a favour/please close the door

Would it be correct to say ''Te molesta/importa cerrar la puerta?''
    I have seen the use of ''no más'' once in a similar way, would this be common?
    Eg Llamame no más a mi oficiana = Just/Simply call me in the office

So what are the best words in general to tone down an order in spanish and does it vary by region also?
    Muchas gracias de antemano! ;)

Kind regards,
    Banbha

2. gengo

gengo Senior Member

¿Puedes cerrar la puerta?
    ¿Podrías cerrar la puerta? (more polite)
    ¿Sería (usted) tan amable de cerrar la puerta? (very polite)

3. Matedulce

Matedulce Junior Member

Iquique, Chile
    Castellano-Chile
    I agree with Gengo because conditional usually "softens" the imperative:
    ¿Podrías cerrar la puerta, por favor?
    But I would add "por favor"
    You could also say it in an indirect way, like: ¿Podría alguien cerrar la puerta, por favor?

"No más" is different and quite informal. This is used to encourage you to feel free or authorized to do something, like:
    "Usa mi lápiz no más, yo tengo otro" (Use my pencil. I have another one)
    (I think this is a hispanoamerican usage. Not sure it is used anywhere in Spain)

4. ez2tok2 Junior Member

Mexican Spanish
    I have to add that in Sanish it is almost rude, depending on the context, to use "te molestaría o te importaría..." These verbs implies anger. it is preferable to use a conditional and a "por favor". saludos.

5. Matedulce

Matedulce Junior Member

Iquique, Chile
    Castellano-Chile
    Absolutely yes. I would add that sometimes "te molestaría" may sound sarcastic...