Would you please let me know?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by expiacion, Apr 7, 2011.

1. expiacion Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish-Spain
    Hi everybody.
    I am trying to write a formal letter, and I need some help with one sentence.
    I have written this:
    "I guess there are not any other requirements, except paying fees at the start of my stay, but if you knew there is something else, would you please let me know?"

I am no sure about the tense of the verb to know (know or knew) and about the symbol ?, is it necessary?
    And, do you think sentences sounds good, I try to be very formal.
    Thank you in advance!

2. Moda4 Senior Member

Scotland
    English - Scotland
    Hola expiacion,

if it's a formal letter then I would not use "guess".

How about:

The only other requirements seem to be paying fees at the start of my stay. If there is anything else that I should be aware of please let me know.

Alternatively:

The only other requirements seem to be paying fees at the start of my stay. If there is anything else that I should be aware of, I would be very grateful if you would let me know.

Hope this helps.

Saludos

P.S.
    If you were using "would you please let me know?" then that is the correct tense of "know" and you would also use the question mark.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  3. expiacion Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish-Spain
    Hi Moda4:
    Thank you very much for your help. What a coincide: you're are in Scotland and my letter is for Edinburgh University, as I am going to stay there from September!
    Thanks again.

4. Moda4 Senior Member

Scotland
    English - Scotland
    Hi expiacion!

That's a great coincidence!! I hope you enjoy your time in Edinburgh, it's a fun city, great pubs! There are some tricky locals - same as in Madrid where you have to watch your purse/wallet.

Send me a private message if you need any other information - I'm happy to help.