1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

wound of love

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Casquilho, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Casquilho Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Hello guys, how are you? Can you help me with this?

I'm trying to translate to Latin a verse which is something like "your eyes are hazelnuts, in the rhythm of a distant wound of love". Well, how could I say "wound of love" in Latin? My guess is vulnus amatorium, or vulnus amoris, but I'm not sure about it. What do you think?

2. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    salue Casquilho

I don't think you can go far wrong with vulnus amoris - this would be immediately clear to contemporary readers of Catullus, the elegists, Virg. Aen. IV, or large chunks of Ovid.

May your further studies thrive.

3. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    The difficulty with your question is that the English source text does not make any sense. Hazelnuts do not have a rhythm, and I am not sure that a distant wound of love has a rhythm either. This is a doubly mixed metaphor. The Roman authors had a fine sense of proprietas verborum and would not, I think, even on an off-day, permit themselves this sort of thing. That is why we cannot really render it in Latin.

4. Casquilho Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Indeed, it's a verse of modern poetry, and I'm pretty sure it would sound confuse to an Old Roman. But I'm ok with that. I just would to render the expression "wound of love" in Classical Latin, and Scholiast made it.

Thank you both!