1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

wrap someone around one's finger - sexual connotation?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by JBPARK, Apr 5, 2013.

1. JBPARK Senior Member

Dear Veterans,

I've recently learned the expression "wrap someone around one's finger" and
    I was wondering if it could carry a certain level of sexual undertone in a certain context.

For instance, if I were to say something like, while watching a late night talk show host, Craig Ferguson, chat with his female guest in a sort of half flirty and half freudian way, and she cracks up at every joke he is making,

"Craig Ferguson got her totally wrapped around his finger throughout the whole interview."

Does it send out any sexual connotation?

2. gramman

gramman Senior Member

Not at all, in my opinion.

3. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I don't understand the "half-freudian" part, but if you say that "Craig's got her wrapped around his finger", I don't immediately think it's sexual, but some sexual tension may be included, but mind you, this is for "Hollywood" show.

It's tough to estimate. "to have someone wrapped around someone's finger" is 2/3 sexual and 1/3 platonic, in my humble opinion.

So, after writing that, yes I agree that there's mostly sexual connotation, but on a talk show like Craig Ferguson, it's all for show, and to make the interview more intriguing, so both the host and the guest kind of "play" with each other.

That's where your query becomes confusing, but more intriguing. :)

I wrote too much JB! Ciao, P

4. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    The expression I know is "she has him wrapped around her little finger", and it means that she can easily persuade him to do what she wants. In your context it would seem more appropriate to say "he had her eating out of his hand". Who knows what was going on in the mind of the person who said "he got her totally wrapped around his finger"? I think your suggestion is quite likely, but not because the expression is inherently equivocal.

5. JBPARK Senior Member

Maybe we should file this under the "fuggedaboutit" column, once again. :)

I just wanted to know how far the nuance of the phrase could be stretched in certain contexts.

Thanks for your helpful posts.

6. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

The expression can be used in a sexual way, but it isn't inherently sexual, and it is definitely not safe to assume a sexual connotation unless that's indicated in another way. A much-loved child, for example, might have her daddy wrapped around her little finger, and there is no sexual connotation there. It definitely doesn't mean "flirty," that's for sure.

So yeah...it doesn't work that well in your sentence, and there definite words and expressions that better convey what you're trying to express.