1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Miafarrow Senior Member

Peru, el castellano
    Hola
    Estoy traduciendo un horario para los ninos al espanol.
    Snack/wrap up/free play/departure
    Refrigerio/conclusion/juego libre/salida o
    en vez de conclusion puede ser terminar????
    Gracias

2. bswss Senior Member

USA
    English-U.S.
    Sí, "conclusion" o "terminar" sirven.
    Saludos :)

3. Miafarrow Senior Member

Peru, el castellano
    Si me refiero a los ninos cuando estan listos para salir. Como se diria wrap up in este caso?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  4. chicanul Senior Member

SoCal
    english/spanish
    "Conclusión" está perfectamente bien...

5. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    I would never use the word wrap-up, with a hyphen, when talking about children. For a business meeting with adults, yes then it means summary or resumen in Spanish. But as a parent I would assume wrap up, without the hyphen, in this context simply referred literally to getting the children ready to leave, i.e. wrapping them up in their coats. Vestirse en ropa de fuera para salir.

6. bswss Senior Member

USA
    English-U.S.
    I (personally) wouldn't say wrap up when talking about getting coats/gloves on, but maybe that's an American vs. English thing...plus if the kids get into their hats/coats/gloves and then wait for their parents, they would get pretty hot I'd imagine....

7. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    True bswss, but would any teacher of obviously very young children ever conclude the day after they´d given out snacks? The kids´attention has disappeared then. In BE, after the final snack we would then get the kids ready to go home and then they would play until their parents arrived. Maybe schools in England are much colder than in the US!
    I think Miafarrow has to tell us if the context is AE or BE.

8. bswss Senior Member

USA
    English-U.S.
    You've got a point with the attention span :) But here it seems to me that they (all) would wrap up whatever activity/lesson plan they spent time on in that particular day and then clean up their work areas, the teacher/director/whomever puts learning supplies away while the children throw their snack trash away, etc. And yes, here (especially in the Southern climate) they would get mighty hot in all those clothes! You're right, we'll have to let Miafarrow decide.

Saludos :)

9. CharlieButton New Member

madrid
    BrEnglish
    I 100% agree with this ;)

10. PABLO DE SOTO Senior Member

Spain Spanish
    Lo más parecido que se me ocurre en español es recogida de los niños

11. Miafarrow Senior Member

Peru, el castellano
    Hola a todos,
    Realmente estoy contenta con sus comentarios y muchas gracias por su intento. Pienso que la frase wrap up en este horario diario que tienen los niños es cuando ellos limpian despues del refrigerio y ponen todo en orden pero no les ponen el abrigo, o el gorro y se mantienen jugando hasta el momento que los padres vengan por ellos.Cuando el padre los recoge es ahi cuando se ponen los abrigos. Cuando se dicen conclusion me parece que es mas para una reunion y recoger al niño, realmente no se. Yo le puse conclusion, pero todavia tengo mis dudas. Que les parece?

12. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    Here is an example of an American kindergarten day where they give a definition as "bathroom break, discuss day, final story." I agree that they do not mean literally put on coats as it would in England but more a general "finish off the day nicely."
    http://www.roughingit.com/younger/sample_day.htm
    Wrap up seems to be a word borrowed from the business world to apply to the kindergarten which personally jars on me, but I agree that they do not mean literally put on coats as it would in England, but more a general "finish off the day nicely."
    Just don´t use it in a school in England or they will look at you as if you are loco!

13. Piko103

Piko103 Junior Member

Valladolid
    Spanish - Spain
    I am a teacher in Sapain. Here, we would say: merienda/RECOGER/juego libre/salida.
    In Spain we don't say "refrigerio", it's very formal. Maybe "refrigerio" is more usual in South America, México... But the moment of "wrap up" is "RECOGER".

14. Piko103

Piko103 Junior Member

Valladolid
    Spanish - Spain
    The meaning of "wrap up" is "abrigarse", too. You can translate it: "ponerse los abrigos".