1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Writing a pun : "王国" and "大古句" (ōkoku) ?

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Oddmania, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Oddmania

Oddmania Senior Member

France
    French
    Hi,

I'm writting a short story in French, but I would like to incorporate a Japanese pun into my writting. As my story revisits old tales and revolves around a King , I was wondering whether a pun on the word 王国 (kingdom) was possible.

王国 sounds like "ōkoku" and means kingdom.
    古句 sounds like "koku" and means old poem.

Thus, can 大古句 possibly mean both "kingdom" (ōkoku) and "a great, old poem" (ō+koku : + 古句).

I don't have any knowledge of Japanese language, and I'm afraid this would simply not make any sense whatsoever :eek:

I thought about making up a pun with the word 佳句 (kaku), as it means "a beautiful passage of literature" (referring to old tales), but I'm really struggling to find something proper. Maybe 威嚇 (ikaku, "a threat").

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks in advance.

2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    It's difficult to say yes to whether 大古句 can be used as a good pun of 王国. Nearly impossible. 句 is eventually something like a poem and 国 is eventually a country, because 王国 is adjective + noun as well as English does. Moreover, 大古句 is a word made by only you. Most readers don't understand. To make a pun, or do something similar to making a pun in Japanese, the sound of a word is not prior to any other elements-we do based on a noun and with regular words/kanji, e.g. 王国 vs 大国.

3. Oddmania

Oddmania Senior Member

France
    French
    Thanks a lot for your answer! This is what I was afraid of. I was trying to follow the example of the word 狼, which sounds the same as the word 神 (the former meaning wolf, and the latter meaning great god), but I realize it's much more complicated than I though it would be!

Thanks for your help, Frequency.

4. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Welcome! However, 狼 vs 大神 is very nice, based on the sound. Much more complicated than I thought><