Written sarcasm

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by airelibre, Jun 3, 2013.

1. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    I recall learning that a certain language, Korean I think, has a particle which expresses sarcasm. I think it was da, because it reminded me of the English expression "duh!". Anyway, do any other languages share this phenomenon of being able to write down sarcasm or other moods which aren't expressible in English. This does have some level of relevance, since when writing in English people have often got the wrong end of the stick when faced with a sarcastic remark and the consequences have been less than good. In other languages, perhaps some written information can be relayed more efficiently.
  2. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

French (lower Normandy)
    In French, someone had invented "un point d'ironie" [​IMG] to express irony (~ second degré) but it was never really used and I think only a few language freaks knows about this.
  3. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    Glad to know our dear moderator Prudence is part of the geek side. ;)

Japanese has something like that but surprisingly enough only in the Oosaka/kansai dialect, the standard form doesn't have it, to my knowledge. Japanese is like Korean in that regard, it has many ending particles to convey lots of emotions hard to translate. Kansaiben has -kaina which is a sarcastic question particle.
  4. arielipi Senior Member

Hebrew also (had) this sign, but as everywhere its popularity decreased, but people know this sign.
  5. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Would you care to elaborate?
  6. arielipi Senior Member

if people see this sign,they know what it means, but no one uses it now.
  7. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    You mean like punctuation, like the mentioned point d'ironie? I'd be grateful if you provided a link or something.

Also, on the topic of Hebrew, הלוא and other interrogatives come close in Biblical Hebrew. While not exactly sarcasm, it shows a rhetorical question which is similar to sarcasm in some cases.

הֲלָזֶה תִּקְרָא-צוֹם, וְיוֹם רָצוֹן לַיהוָה ישיעהו נח
  8. arielipi Senior Member

In the wikipage itself hebrew appears as one with this article; there are indeed giving words in hebrew that (like matre letters) guides you to the right meaning.
  9. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Oh, sorry, I didn't realise you were talking about the very same sign!

It seems that sarcasm in spoken language for most languages (bar a few exceptions like Korean and small tribal languages) is restricted to tone of voice.
  10. germanbz Senior Member

Benicàssim - Castelló - Spain
    Spanish-Spain/Catalan (Val)
    I agree with Airelibre, sarcasm is more tone of voice, sometimes body-language and mainly use of words.
  11. Ёж! Senior Member

In Russian, «ага» is sometimes used for this purpose in the end of a sentence. But its usage is wide, not only this one; its primary meaning is that of agreement with someone's words. Also, it can mean revelation ("Aha, here's how it works!" — «Ага, вот как оно работает!»). It's mainly vernacular, not something literary.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  12. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Interesting, the Hungarian aha (Russian ага) has the same function -- Aha, így működik! [aha, here's how it work]
    We can also use: ja (Ja, így működik!), bezzeg (mentioned in another thread already), bizony, persze, majd, mintha might have the same function in other context as well, I bet there are more....
  13. 810senior

810senior Senior Member

I saw the sarcasm mark for the first time...:confused: (it reminds me of Spanish the two pair of question marks, the other than the normal one generally used in other language)

in Japanese, as same as Korean, we can express the sarcasm with specific particle, generally put in the end, in some cases like 君は実に馬鹿だな(kimiwa zitsu ni bakadana, meaning you're pretty idiot), よくも思いつくなあ(yokumo omoi tsuku naa, meaning I'm surprised with your idea)

Whether they mean the sarcasm or the genuine description depends on the situation where those remarks were spoken, for sure.