1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

wspaniale jest skakać po (w) tej kałuży 2 sposoby

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Baltic Sea, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Witam wszystkich serdecznie!

Chciałbym was spytać czy można zdanie "Wspaniale jest skakać po (w) tej kałuży" przetłumaczyć jako:

1. It's great to jump about in the puddle.

2. The puddle is great to jump about in.

Źródło: Zasłyszane w TV. Dziękuję.

2. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    "It feels great (is great) to jump in this puddle". :D Some people may want to jump over the puddle, but over would not convey what the Polish sentence means.

3. R.O

R.O Senior Member

Polish
    Drugie zdanie jest niepoprawne. W pierwszym również usunąłbym about.

4. Szkot Senior Member

Edinburgh
    UK English
    I understand the Polish to refer to jumping from one point in a (large) puddle to another. You need about to convey that. Both your sentences are fine, Baltic. Of course you would have to jump into the puddle first.

5. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I am used to jump in a puddle. I am not saying about is wrong, but it is conventionally referred to as jumping in a puddle, at least in AE. Both sentences sound slightly awkward in AE. You can post them in the English Forum, Baltic, if you'd like. It does not necessarily mean to jump from one point to another in Polish -- you can jump in one place as long as you are in a puddle.

http://www.faithfilledmom.com/jumping-in-the-puddles-march-31-daily-reflection/faith-center-2652.htm

The activity itself is also referred to as puddle jumping.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  6. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Thank you all very much. As far as I know, puddle jumping has nothing to do with the activity of jumping over or into an ordinary puddle.

7. R.O

R.O Senior Member

Polish
    I agree it doesn't have to be from one point to the other. It can just as well be random or in one place, as LilianaB stated.

8. Szkot Senior Member

Edinburgh
    UK English
    If you are jumping in one place within the perimeter of a puddle, one might idiomatically (in the UK) say jumping up and down in a puddle, but just jumping in a puddle does not sound right.

9. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    What about jumping on a trampoline, jumping in the kitchen, jumping in the ocean, or in a bathtub? It sounds Ok in AE to jump in a puddle. There might be a different game when you jump from one puddle into another.

10. R.O

R.O Senior Member

Polish
    Thank you, Szkot. Is it possible, however, that there are BrE speakers for whom the "jump in the puddle" would be idiomatic?

11. Szkot Senior Member

Edinburgh
    UK English
    I would never say never, RO, but to me it definitely sounds odd without an extra about, around, up and down. Likewise LB's three further examples with in above.

The answer to the original question, by the way, is Tak.

12. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian