ya estoy en casa

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Magg, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Magg Senior Member

Spain / Spanish
    Por ejemplo cuando llegas del trabajo y abres la puerta de casa diciendo esta frase.

¿Cómo es en inglés?
    I'm home o I'm at home

¿Alguna otra opción que desconozca?

2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I'm home! (also: I'm back! it's me! etc.)
  3. nellie1973 Senior Member

Seville, Spain
    Native English and Portuguese
    I'm here!
  4. Magg Senior Member

Spain / Spanish
    Hi Loob,

Just one more question.
    Do I have to omit "at" only with "I"?
    In an English book for children here in Spain I've seen a unit where the verb "to be" is used together with "at" when meaning to be at a place. Among the examples you can see:
    Adam wasn´t at school on Thursday. He was at home.And things like that.

Any reasons for that?
  5. emytf Senior Member

Canary Islands
    English born in England
    There´s a slight difference between "I'm home" and "I'm at home". You can say "He' s home", "They're home" etc. and also "He is at home", "they are at home". The former can be used when you walk in the door and also to describe where you are, the latter can´t. It is only used to describe where a person is, not that they´ve just arrived.
    I hope this helps. It´s the first time I´ve posted a reply so maybe I haven´t expressed myself too well! Never mind, practice makes perfect.
  6. AlexL Member

UK, English
    The only times that people don't use "at" is when they are talking about "home", "here", or "there". (There might be others, but that's all I can think of right now.) Now, with two of those three, you can't use "at"--you cannot say I'm at here :cross: or "I'm at there":cross:. You can say, however, "I'm at home":tick: or I'm home :tick:.

So, what is the difference?

"I'm home" emphasizes other information. In the phrase, "I'm home (now)!", you are emphasizing the fact that you are home now, not the fact that you are at home. That part is obvious--you are standing in the doorway. For this reason, you can also say "I'll be home at 2:30." if you want to emphasize the time you'll arrive home, or "I'm home all day." if you want to say that you stay at home a lot.

"I'm at home" emphasizes the fact that you are inside your house. There is a small difference. You cannot say "I'm at home" to mean ya estoy en casa--it doesn't mean the same thing.

here, take a few examples:

"The boy was not at school today. He was at home." --at is correct because you are emphasizing that he was in his house, and not at school.

"The boy was not at school today. He was home sick." --(not to be confused with homesick). In this sentence, you are emphasizing the reason he was at home--he was sick. In this case, you do not use "at".

I hope that helped,
  7. Magg Senior Member

Spain / Spanish
    Emy, you did it very well.
    Thanks for your reply. It helped me a lot.

8. Magg Senior Member

Spain / Spanish
    Wow! Yours is such a good explanation!
    I shouldn't use "to be home" and "to be at home" in a wrong way from now on.