ya tener/haber +participio

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by FactSheet, Jan 3, 2013.

1. FactSheet Junior Member

English - Wales
    Hello, could somebody explain to me why this is not "ya ha asumido" but instead tener? I'm assuming that it's something to do with 'ya' somehow. I know that 'ya' is used in lots of idiomatic expressions and from what I've seen it roughly means already.

"Tito Vilanova y ya tiene asumido que sus días como jugador azulgrana están tocando a su fin."

I'd appreciate any help on this, ta.

2. chileno

chileno Senior Member

Las Vegas, Nv. USA
    Castellano - Chile
    The "ya" doesn't have to be there. Consider the following:

He has assumed... = El ha asumido...

He has it (as) assumed... = (El) (lo) tiene asumido...

3. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
  4. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    From my point of view both are ok, but maybe "tener" gives more emphasis than "haber" in this case.

5. FactSheet Junior Member

English - Wales
    Thanks for all the replies. I understand now.

6. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Hello,
    It seems to be a portion of a bigger sentences because the "y" doesn't fit. The "ya" does fit there.

"Tener +participio pasado" is not the same has the Spanish past perfect tense. It's a periphrasis that implies there is a decision or consecuence for which you are ready now after to having performed intensely or frequently the action stated by the participio pasado. It's like meaning you don't need to performed it again, you have got that experience and are ready to use it to face what is comming.

I wonder if you can say it in English as "to have got +participle":

Ya tiene asumido que sus días como jugador azulgrana están tocando a su fin.
    He has got accepted that his days as an azulgrana soccer player are about to reach an end.

Too weird?

Regards,
    ;)

7. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    That isn't natural-sounding English. I would say (assuming I understand your meaning correctly) that "He has come to accept that his days ..."

8. pmaka06 Senior Member

:tick:

Or "He has come to realize/the realization that his days...