1. maaaar Senior Member

MEXICO
    existe una teoria de que en inglés hay cosas que se dicen en una sola palabra mientras que en español tenemos que decirlas en dos, como en el caso que solicito: como se dirá "yegua preñada" en inglés con una sola palabra?

gracias de antemano.

2. tomandjerryfan

tomandjerryfan Senior Member

Ontario
    English (Canada)
    Sin contexto se me ocurre pregnant (female) horse/pregnant mare. No creo que se pueda decir con una sola palabra.

3. dennisruc Senior Member

english united states

in-fole If you say pregnant everyone will understand, as they will if you say the dog had 6 babies, but it is her cachorro, her litter. in-fole is it.

4. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    Broodmare is one word (albeit compound), and is one way to translate this.

5. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    The spelling is foal, but you still need other words. You can't just say "There is an in-foal in the stable", and I'm not even sure about that hyphenation.
    (EDIT:Oops! I've only just realised how old this thread is.)

6. dennisruc Senior Member

english united states
    good luck but you can say there is a mare in the stable who is in foal. Be gentler.

7. dennisruc Senior Member

english united states
    donbeto answered your question. The best person is a farmer - ask a dairy farmer although answers may vary according to region.

8. dennisruc Senior Member

english united states
    you're right. I have it is four years old +. Spanish speakers have trouble in Spanish with it. embarazada ? they are not sure.
    It appears that so many species have their own vocabulary to inicate pregnancy.

9. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I apologise if I sounded rude. It was not my intention. I totally agree that you can say that there is a mare in foal, but the OP is/was asking us to express "mare in foal" in one single word. Only Donbeto has come up with a possible solution so far.
    And now you've puzzled me even further...what's dairy farming got to do with horses? Is mare's milk usually drunk over there? It's a sincere question. In England (except for specialities for people with allergies) you only usually see cow's milk. In Spain, goat's and sheep milk are on any supermarket shelf, as well as all their by-products.