1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Yes, thanks or Yes, please

Discussion in 'English Only' started by gangstergirl, Sep 7, 2012.

1. gangstergirl

gangstergirl Senior Member

Hanoi
    Vietnamese
    When doing my exercise, I encountered a question.
    -Would you like some more tea?
    -_________
    A. No, thank
    B. Yes, thanks.
    C. Yes, please
    D. No, please.
    I want to aske the differences between "Yes, thanks!" and "Yes, please". :) Thank you in advance.

2. Copperknickers Senior Member

Scotland - Scots and English
    The same as the difference between 'thanks' and 'please'. 'Thanks' is said after a service has been done, 'please' is said when asking for a service.

If someone asks 'would you like some tea' then you do not have tea yet, so you say 'yes, please'.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  3. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    If you don't have any tea yet and someone asks "Would you like some more tea?" - you might think they were confused - in the well-known incident in Alice in Wonderland

If you have had some tea already and they ask "Would you, like to have some more tea?" then "Yes, please" is fine - or "No, thanks" if you don't want any more :D

4. Copperknickers Senior Member

Quite correct - fixed.

N.B. you say 'no thanks' because you are thanking them for the question itself.

5. Sparky Malarky Senior Member

Indiana
    English - US
    Then why can't you say 'yes thanks'?

"Yes please," is correct, but so is "Yes, thanks." It means "Yes, I will have some tea. Thank you for offering it."

If A is corrected from thank to thanks, all the responses will be correct except D.

6. JulianStuart

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    This is the kind of area where polite and correct can run into each other! The typical polite response is "Yes(,) please".
    A response without "Please" is usually considered impolite (or informal among close groups where politeness is expressed differently) although it is "grammatically" correct.
    "Yes thanks", with no break, might confuse the questioner (Did they mean Yes, please - or - No, thanks?).
    "Yes .......Thanks" would restore the politeness level (after the absence of the Please) and remove the confusion for the questioner.

7. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I completely agree with Sparky's conclusion (post #5).

8. Copperknickers Senior Member

I never said you couldn't, in that post.

But then you would be neglecting to say 'please', which would be rather impolite. Besides, I've never heard anyone say that in Britain, except in extremely informal situations. It sounds almost patronising to say 'yes thanks', I would argue it is bad English and not something we should be encouraging to a learner.

9. JulianStuart

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    AmE speaker 1
    BrE speaker 1
    AmE speaker 2
    BrE speaker 2
    Perhaps there is a greater expectation from BrE speakers to hear the word "Please" when saying yes to an offer of something?

10. gangstergirl

gangstergirl Senior Member

Hanoi
    Vietnamese
    It is kind of all to help me :) Thanks all! And in my opinion, the politeness is the most important. Thanks all again :)