1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Ymmärtämättömyyttäni

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by ibarrere, Sep 12, 2013.

1. ibarrere New Member

Seattle, Washington, USA
    English - America
    Is "ymmärtämättömyyttäni" parsable by a native speaker of Finnish? I'm sort of just trying to push the limits of morphological productivity and seeing what I can do with the verb ymmärtää.

As I understand it, ymmärtämättömyyttäni should mean something like "without my (lack of understanding)ness", but I'm not really sure:

ymmärtää
    -Understand (verb)
    ymmärtä-mä
    -Understanding (participle)
    ymmärtä-mä-tön
    -Lack of understanding (participle)
    ymmärtämä-ttöm-yys
    -(Lack of understanding)ness
    ymmärtä-mä-ttöm-yy-ttä
    -Without (lack of understanding)ness
    ymmärtä-mä-ttöm-yy-ttä-ni
    -Without my (lack of understanding)ness

Any input as to the meaning of this word or how a native speaker interprets it?

2. kirahvi Senior Member

Finnish
    It means due to my lack of understanding.

Tein virheen ymmärtämättömyyttäni = I made a mistake due to my lack of understanding.

I've never been very good at parsing Finnish words in the way you just presented, so I'll leave that to someone else. The word perfectly understandable and commonly used, there's nothing strange about it.

3. ibarrere New Member

Seattle, Washington, USA
    English - America
    Ohhh, that makes sense, thanks. So the -ttä in this usage isn't the abessive case, but rather indicates causation. With that said, the parse should be:

ymmärtää
    -Understand (verb)
    ymmärtä-mä
    -Understanding (participle)
    ymmärtä-mä-tön
    -Lack of understanding (participle)
    ymmärtämä-ttöm-yys
    -(Lack of understanding)ness
    ymmärtä-mä-ttöm-yy-ttä
    -Due to (lack of understanding)ness
    ymmärtä-mä-ttöm-yy-ttä-ni
    -Due to my (lack of understanding)ness

If somebody has any input on the derivation above I'd be happy to hear that too.

4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    The -tä in ymmärtämättömyyttäni is the partitive ending, and in some contexts (e.g., "Tein sitä ymmärtämättömyyttäni") it is interpreted as meaning "because of".

The abessive of this noun would be ymmärtämättömyydettä, I think ("without misunderstanding").

I don't see a problem with your derivation below, but it's hard to say how Finnish speakers parse the word when they see/hear it (if that's what you were asking) -- not every speaker will necessarily parse a word the same way.

5. ibarrere New Member

Seattle, Washington, USA
    English - America
    Wait, which -tä? The first one, as in ymmär? Or the second, as in ymmärtämättömyytni? The second one certainly looks like the -tta causitive suffix.

6. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    The -tä in the second-to-last syllable: ymmärtämättömyytni.

The reason why there are two "t"s at the end of ymmärtämättömyyttä is that the partitive suffix -tä combines with the -t- of the stem: i.e., the stem of nouns whose nominative singular ends in -yys or -uus (e.g., lyhyys "shortness" or suuruus "greatness") is usually -yyt-/-uut-.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  7. ibarrere New Member

Seattle, Washington, USA
    English - America
    I see, thanks for the clarification!