You are boring - estar / ser

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Linni, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Linni Senior Member

Czech Republic; Czech
    Let's suppose that our friend who is usually very talkative and never boring seems to have a bad mood today and he or she is a little boring today. How do you say "You're somewhat (a little?) boring today." in Spanish? (I am sorry if the English sentence is incorrect but I hope you know what I mean, don't you?).
    Would you use the verb "estar" or "ser"?
  2. maestradhs Member

English - United States
    I think you should use estar because the person has deviated from his or her normal self (think TEMPORARY). I think I would say "Estás un poco aburrido hoy", but that sounds like "you're BORED today". I'm not 100% sure, though, so let's see what others have to say first.
  3. octoplasm Banned

To avoid the ambiguity mentioned by maestradhs, I would say:

Nos estás aburriendo hoy.

Estar is definitely the verb to use, since it refers to a temporary condition.
  4. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Sorry, there is no such rule as "temporary vs. permanent", no matter how many times people repeat it, and this pseudo-rule causes infinite confusion.

In the case of "aburrir",
    Yo estoy aburrido - I am bored.
    El profesor es aburrido -. The teacher is boring.
    Even if it is just today
    Hoy, este profesor es muy aburrido -. Today the teacher is very boring.

I suggest waiting for native speakers, but I agree with octoplasm, there are other ways to express the idea, such as his offering. There are others.
  5. psaez New Member

chile spanish
    Hi, I wiould say.

Estas aburrido hoy.

6. mhp Senior Member

American English
    How do you say "you are bored today"?
    How do you say "you are boring today"?
    (see post #3)
  7. Linni Senior Member

Czech Republic; Czech
    Thank you for your answers! (Gracias por vuestras respuestas ???)
  8. Magmod Senior Member

England English
    "you are boring today" = !Que pesada eres hoy!
    Estás aburrido hoy = you are bored today
  9. mhp Senior Member

American English
  10. Jellby

Jellby Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    If I had to say "you are boring today", I'd say "hoy estás aburrido"... and then I'd realize it would probably be misunderstood as "you are bored today", and I'd have to explain what I really meant.

If I had more time to think about it, I'd try to choose another word, such as "soso", "pesado", "poco hablador", "sieso"... But I'd definitely use "estar" and not "ser".
  11. GalegOfalaNte New Member

i think that "you 're boring" means "Tú eres aburrido" por que no dirias "you are bore" nO?
    and "you 're bored" means "tú estas aburrido"

O eso es lo que creo yo
  12. GalegOfalaNte New Member

Estoy de acuerdo con MHP por que si por ejemplo te dicen : i didn't go out today... im quite bored... significa "estoy muy aburrido hoy" pero si dijeran "Im quite boring today" la palabra correcta a usar no sería "aburrido" sería en mi opinión "Estoy muy pesado hoy" (pesado como estado de persona en el que no se le aguanta por su forma de ser, no pesado de peso (¡Ojo!))
  13. Magmod Senior Member

England English
    ¿Qué quieres decir con
    • no pesado de peso (¡Ojo!)?
    > se considera "pesado" a alguien molesto, más que a alguien aburrido ¿No?

:arrow: But a person whose state can't be put up with is an annoying person => pesado.

:arrow: If I'm pesado today, means that my mood is awful, and that I will probably annoy you with my attitude, surely not boring :confused:

If I'm boring, as I'm writing this now, I'll probably send you to sleep :D
  14. grubbsam New Member

Indiana, USA
    Hola. To respond to the question:
    "Eres aburrido/aburrida" (you are boring)
    "Estás aburrido/aburrida" (you are bored)

"Aburrido/a" is a verb that changes meaning if you use ser or estar.

15. porfirio1830 New Member

I am bored (Estoy aburrido). Se utiliza cuando algún agente externo me causa este estado de animo. En este caso el ambiente.

I am boring (Yo soy aburrido). Se utiliza cuando quiero decir que yo provoco el aburrimiento a alguien más.

Paul is bored because the party is boring.

Espero que te sirva el comentario.
  16. Ferr Jiménez New Member

Guadalajara, México.
    Hola Linni,
    Check the difference between these frases in English, they don't have the same meaning: "You are bored" and "you are boring

Estás aburrido = you are bored = someone (your mom, for example) made you feel bored
    Eres aburrido = you are boring = you make me feel bored = Tú me aburres a mí

Now look:

"You're somewhat (a little?) boring today." = Eres algo aburrido hoy (We offen say "Te ves aburrido hoy")
    "You're somewhat bored today." = Estas algo aburrido hoy
    Notice that we use "estar" for a 3rd person that is not a person, like....
    "The movie is boring" = "The movie está aburrida (me aburre)"

​Hope to be helpful.
  17. logan_1974 Member

Madrid, España
    Español, España
    El problema es que esa frase no se puede traducir de forma directa al español, no es natural. Coincido con Jellby en que lo normal sería elegir otro adjetivo. "Soso" sería una buena opción aunque no es exactamente lo mismo que "boring".

En cuanto a "pesado", significa persona molesta por ser demasiado insistente (por ejemplo alguien que siempre habla del mismo tema). Normalmente alguien pesado es aburrido, pero puede ser simplemente molesto.

The problem is that that phrase can´t be translated literally to spanish, it´s unnatural. I agree with Jellby, usually another adjetive would be chosen. "Soso" would be a good option although its meaning isn´t exactly the same as "boring".

About "pesado", it means annoying person because of being too insistent (for example someone who´s always speaking about the same topic). Someone "pesado" is usually boring too, but can simply be annoying.

I hope that helps.
  18. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

British English
    Very helpful and clear!
  19. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    No he escuchado nunca "The movie está aburrida". Yo diría "La película es aburrida/ me aburre".
  20. logan_1974 Member

Madrid, España
    Español, España
    En este caso "the movie" en español puede deberse a un coloquialismo importado directamente del inglés (tristemente en latinoamérica se dan mucho), o simplemente a un lapsus por parte de Ferr.

La expresión "está aburrida" (y otras similares, por ejemplo "está chévere") también es muy habitual en latinoamérica (Ferr es Mexicano), aunque no en España (lo entendemos pero no lo usamos).