1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

you are going to be based out of the NY office

Discussion in 'English Only' started by farodriguez, Jul 7, 2006.

1. farodriguez New Member

Colombia, Spanish
    I need help to understand this phrase:

"you are going to be based out of the NY office"

Does it mean that I will be working in NY or outside NY? My first idea was that I will be working outside NY but then the context seems to imply that I will be working in NY.

Thank you very much!!!

2. bartonig Senior Member

UK English
    In British English, either

you are going to be based in the NY office

or

you are going to be working out of the NY office.

They both mean your office is in new York. They say nothing about travelling although there is a sense that you will have clients outsde of New York.

3. bartonig Senior Member

UK English
    I have noted that many US-based websites use based out meaning that they have an office or base in locality X but can or do work outside of that locality.

4. ch01_kelly

ch01_kelly Senior Member

Argentina
    spanish
    Very interesting question. Please read out the two following sentences.

You will be based out in the N. Y. office.
    You will be based out of the N. Y office.

To my understanding the first one says that you will work in the N. Y. office (phrasal verb) and the second that you will work in N. Y. but not in the office (no phrasal verb).
    Is that correct...?
    Some native speaker will be able to clarify this, this is very confusing indeed....

5. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    I think that they both mean the same thing, that you will have the NY office as your base of operations. The second example sounds better to me, but that may just be a personal preference.

Both mean that you will be travelling to other offices/locations, but your main office will be the NY location.

Hope this helps!

6. . 1 Senior Member

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    I would take this to mean that the employee will be employed with a nominal employment base at the NY office but the addition of the word out indicates that there is a distinct possibility that the employee will never work at the NY office but will spend all their time at other locations.

7. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    You are taking a job with XYZ Corporation, which has offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Toledo (OH), Miami and New York.

You will be based out of the New York office.

To me, in AE, this means that:
    a) Your office will be in New York;
    b) You may or may not have travel and work opportunities outside of that office.

8. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This is completely confusing to a non-AE speaker.
    I understand:
    ... working in the NY office.
    ... based in the NY office.
    ... working from the NY office.
    even
    ... working out of the NY office.

But really,
    ... based out of the NY office:eek:

Logically, that tells me that my base is definitely not the NY office, but I have no idea where it is.

9. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    Am I the only one who has heard this expression before and understood from the context (each time) that the person being "based out of" would possibly never actually visit this premises - but would report to it?

10. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    My understanding is a combination of Genjen's and Maxiogee's.Without any further info I would say you will work at and definitely report to the NY office. If it is for an accountant, NY is your office but you will see clients possibly in NY or anywhere. In all cases NY is your office and you may or may not go elsewhere, it depends on the type of job.

11. . 1 Senior Member

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    I will respond in the negative.