You are the epitome of beauty

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by weesiokbee, Sep 14, 2005.

1. weesiokbee New Member

PHILIPPINES/ENGLISH/CHINESE/TAGALOG
    Hi there! I'm into poetry and I need help on the translation on some lines.
    It would be best if I can get a multi-translation on this.
    The lines are:
    "You are the epitome of beauty."
    "You are the sole interpreter of my profound life."
    "You make me think of you... sometimes"
    These are lines from different poems.
    Thank you very much for your help.

2. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Hello Weesiokebee,

I'm going to move this to the "other languages" forum. We really don't have a single place for this kind of question. It doesn't fit a glossary by topic, unless you want to create a new glossary for phrases for greeting cards...and the other forums offer help for language pairs.

3. annettehola Senior Member

Danish
    I LOVE poetry, too. Here are the lines you asked for in my language; Danish:
    You are the epitome of beauty = du er skoenhedens emblem/ du er et emblem paa skoenhed (the second option is the best) You are the sole interpreter of my profound life = Du er den eneste fortolker af mit inderste / indre (but inderste is better) liv. You make me think of you...sometimes = Du for mig til at taenke paa dig...indimellem.
    Is it for a girl? Are you in love?
    The best of luck!
    Annette

4. Kräuter_Fee

Kräuter_Fee Senior Member

Spain
    Portuguese&Spanish (native)/ (English&German - foreign)
    Spanish

"You are the epitome of beauty."
    Eres la personificación de la belleza (although I'd rather translate it as "Eres el culmen de la belleza" culmen -> summit, I know it's not the same but it sounds much more poetic)
    Eres el/la único/única intérprete de mi vida profunda. (But I don't like how it sounds in Spanish, vida profunda makes no sense to me)
    Haces con que piense en ti... a veces. (This one is alright)

5. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    "Culmen" is actually better because it is closer to the connotative meaning of "epitome" than "personificación," which corresponds to the English "personification."

6. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    German:

You are the epitome of beauty."

Du stellst reine Schönheit in dir dar.
    Du stellst den Einzelnen, der mein dunkles Leben erfüllt, dar.
    Du bist derjenige, an den ich denken muss ... manchmal.

This is very free, so I hope I didn't fail. :eek:

7. CBFelix

CBFelix Senior Member

Turkish...

"You are the epitome of beauty." - "Sen güzelligin özeti"
    "You are the sole interpreter of my profound life." - "Sen derin hayatimin tek tercumani"
    "You make me think of you... sometimes" - "Bana seni düsündürüyorsun... kimi zaman"

8. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Arabic:

You are the epitome of beauty
    masculine: انت قمة الجمال [anta qimmatuj jamaali]
    feminine: انت قمة الجمال [anti qimmatuj jamaali]

You are the sole interpretor of my profound life
    masculine: انت المفسر الوحيد لحياتي العميقة [antal mufassirul wahiidu lihayaatil 'amiiqa]
    feminine: انت المفسرة الوحيدة لحياتي العميقة [antil mufassiratul wahiidatu lihayaatil 'amiiqa]

You make me think of you...sometimes
    masculine: تجعلني افكر بك...احيانا [taj'aluni ufakkira bika...ahyaanan]
    feminine: تجعلينني افكر بك...احيانا [taj'aliinani ufakkira biki...ahyaanan]

9. annettehola Senior Member

Danish
    Sorry, I made a mistake yesterday. IT IS NOT Du fOr mig til at taenke paa dig...indimellem, but: Du fAAr mig til at taenke paa dig...indimellem.
    Please correct this. I am ashamed of my mistake.
    Annette

10. annettehola Senior Member

Danish
    Sorry, one more thing: Whodunit, do you think it's alright to translate my profound life with mein dunkles Leben? I feel this means my darker life rather than profound. Am I right? Perhaps it would be better to translate profound with either deep or inner. This I think is the meaning. I am not sure how these words go in German. Tell me, please!
    Annette

11. weesiokbee New Member

Hola! Thank you very much for translating the lines of my poem. I am very greatful to each and everyone who took interest in translating these lines. And to anyone who will intrested thank you in advance.

12. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    By the way, I agree with Krauter that "profound life" sounds strange (in Arabic at least).

13. annettehola Senior Member

Danish
    "Profound life" or "my profound life" also sounds a trifle like something it perhaps does not really want to convey in English. I mean: If you say: "My profound life," it actually means that you think, that your life as such is profound. If you say "Profound life," it means you find life profound. What I believe you want to speak about in your poem, is your INNER life, am I right? I think so, because you write the word "my." But, of course I could be mistaken. The Danish translation I wrote you has it, that you speak about inner life (therefore the "indre") If, on the other hand, you speak about life being profound, then you must change this Danish word to "dyrebare," which means "profound."
    It is important.
    Annette

14. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    As far as I know, "profound" can also mean "dark" (dunkel), which is why I wasn't sure either what would sound best in German. It also doesn't match well in that context in English either, I think, so I'm not quite sure. "Tiefes Leben" or "Tiefgründiges Leben" doesn't make much sense to me. :(

15. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    I don't think "profound" means "dark." It means "deep," mostly figuratively.

16. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Nevertheless, "deep" combined with "life" wouldn't really work in German. ;)

17. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    I agree. It doesn't seem to work in most other languages either - hence the confusion. :)

18. weesiokbee New Member

Thanks! Why not get the thought of it and then translate. Language is unique though.